Friday, June 18, 2010
Victrix Highlanders - WIP + 7
Knocked out a few more steps today: 1) Finished all the white belts and lacing. 2) Applied Vallejo Cadmium Red as a base coat for the jackets. 3) painted the bonnet plumes - red for the center companies, red over white for the grenadiers, and red over green for the lights. The plume coloring is a bit unique to the 42nd; most other center companies were white over red, and grenadiers and lights were solid red and green, respectively. I didn't go through the effort to make the lacing end in "bastion" shape, nor left the center of the lacing open.
These are the flank companies - grenadiers in the two first rows, and lights in the last two. Cockades will be red for grenadiers and green-edged red for lights (I might just leave them red). As I mentioned before, the box I got from Maelstrom Games was flawed in that many of the right arms were for center companies - having only the tuft and not the birdcage wings. Steve at Victrix is sending me a replacement box, but since I had already started on these, I just painted the tufts to look like wings.
Next, the jackets will be highlighted with red, and maybe red & yellow (or white). Silver buttons and blue facings will follow. After these, the muskets, haversacks, greatcoat rolls and canteens should pretty much finish the paint work. So far, I really like this painting technique - using the black undercoat as much as possible for black lining. It works well for the multitude of belts and lacing on Napoleonics. It is also convenient that British backpacks are black.