Tuesday, May 2, 2023

First Completed "Post-Retirement" Project - Wargames Atlantic Great War French & Germans Infantry

 I may have mentioned it previously, but I just retired on 30 April from my job with Washington State. My actual last working day was last Thursday, the 28th - so had time to work on two boxes of Wargames Atlantic Great War French and German Infantry. These painted up quickly as I used an old can of Army Painter Wolf Grey to basecoat the French and a can of Krylon Camouflage Olive to base the Germans. Painted them up with the usual block painting and Minwax stain - followed by a little highlighting.

The French box is short 12 figures which I had used for Tirailleurs for a Western Desert WW2 game. 

Minimal equipment with a no-frills uniform really sped up the process. I used Vallejo Grey Blue to highlight the uniform.
The Germans also have minimal equipment and the late war uniform has simple cuffs with non-exposed buttons - again making for quick painting. The Krylon Camouflage Olive is a very close match to Vallejo Fieldgrey - the latter used mainly for highlighting.
Here they are with their earlier painted brethren.
The French are now 58 strong, and the Germans 60. Still need to had some HMG teams.
Here's a shot showing the Germans base-coated with the Krylon Camouflage Olive and only the jackets being painted with Vallejo Fieldgrey.
On the gaming front, I have a Saga game tomorrow (first time in years), and a Bolt Action WW1 Middle East game on Friday. So I suppose being retired does have benefits when it comes to the hobby. Thanks for dropping by and wishing you the all the best.

25 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your retirement, Dean!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, Jonathan! Enjoying it. Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  2. Yes Dean ... very well done on your 'endless leave'. You made it. I reckon I'm 18 months off myself and painting and wargaming is very much going to be my full-time thing. And lovely figures as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words! I've been waking up thinking it's the weekend. Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you very much again, Michal! Kind regards, Dean

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on your retirement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words! Warm regards, Dean

      Delete
  5. Well congratulations Dean….no holding you back now I scared to see how much you can paint if you have more time 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, Matt! I also hope to actually game more too. Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  6. Congrats on you retirement! Here's to many more hours of joy with your minis with your newly found free time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for your kind words and sentiments, Kuan! Warm regards, Dean

      Delete
  7. Great work as always Dean, and even greater work retiring and joining the leisured classes! I have a few years left to slog away, unfortunately. I could retire now I guess, but I like eating, so better carry on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words, Keith. I had planned to work until the end of the year, but figured a few months earlier couldn't hurt. Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  8. Welcome to the ranks of the retired. Awesome results for your first painting project. We look forward to seeing you have fun ar your own pace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words, Joe! Indeed, the majority of my local gamers I know are already retired, and I plan to get a lot more gaming in. Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  9. Wargames Atlantic plastics are sure gaining speed. I just bought a box of Conquistadors from them for my Border Wars Reivers, and they are just excellent.

    How you churn these out still amazes me, for speedy they sure look great.

    Cheers
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words Kevin. Wargames Atlantic figures are really nice, both the sculpting and various ranges. There Conquistadors and Aztecs look awesome. Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  10. Amazing work on those figures Dean. Well done on your retirement. Hope it brings you all the opportunities you wish for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for your kind words, Richard. So far, I am really enjoying not having to worry about working! Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  11. Welcome to the ranks of the happy wargame pensioners!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ed! I was with a bunch of them just today - playing SAGA :) Kindest regards, Dean

      Delete
    2. Happy Wargame Pensioners. I like that!

      Delete
  12. Lovely looking Germans and French and congratulations on your retirement!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete