Wednesday, May 17, 2023

New Project WIP - Warlord Games Soviet Infantry and Late-War German Grendiers

Thanks to my buddy giving me all of those Russian tanks, I got interested in the Soviets' "Road to Berlin". I went ahead and picked up two boxes each of Warlord Games' Soviet Infantry and Late-War German Grenadiers. These kits have been out for a few years now, but my first time seeing them in person, up close. I must say I like them a lot. The German set is a bit easier to put together as most of weapon options have both arms already molded onto the weapon. I also picked up the Bolt Action Road to Berlin campaign supplement. Pretty much speed painting them for getting them onto the gaming table. Used spray paint to basecoat both sets. Krylon Olive (same one I used for the earlier Shermans), and Rustoleum Khaki for the Russians. Just finished the splinter camo areas (zeltbahn and helmet covers) on the Germans using the old Resistant Roosters method from many years ago. The camo isn't the best, but after a Minwax stain they should be fine for gaming. 

Here's a sample of how they looked prior the green camo being added. Note, any dark/medium olive green would work but I mixed Vallejo Flat Green with a bit of Vallejo Model Air Medium Olive as those are all I have on hand right now. Same with the brown which was up at a local gaming store that doesn't carry Valljeo. I had wanted Beasty Brown and this was closest they had.
Here's how the two sets looked after the Germans were given a dry-brushing of lightened Vallejo Fieldgrey over the spray basecoat of Camo Olive, and some of the Soviets' uniforms getting a dry-brush of Vallejo Iraqi Sand (a most useful color, IMO) over their basecoat of Khaki.
And here they are with the spray cans used for their basecoat.
On the gaming front, I played my second game of SAGA today). My buddy supplied the figures and SAGA aids (including battle boards) for both me and another buddy. I ran Vikings and my opponet Normans. We ended the game before a final outcome - the killing of a Warlord was the victory condition. However, the GM said if we had played another turn my Warlord would've easily taken out his - who was fully fatigued and was within my Warlord's attack distance - or something like that. I plan to use my old Gempei Samurai the next time we play - using a fan made Age of Samurai supplement.
Viking warband facing Normans. A unit of Norman levy already having been reduced to one figure after taking superior bow fire from the Viking thralls. The Viking hearthguard await a unit of Norman mounted hearthguard in the distance. This Norman unit was later destroyed by my foot hearthguard.

Well, just wanted to make this post to let you know what I've been up to on the hobby front. Thanks for stopping by and best wishes to you all.

18 comments:

  1. Good to see your post and keep up with what you are to in retirement, Dean! The WWII figures look good so far and nice to see you getting a game in, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for the visits and kind words, Keith! Much appreciated. I do need to get the new figs into action soon. Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks, Michal! Yes, wasn't sure I "needed" WW2 Germans as I already have a few, but couldn't pass up on these in the late-war uniforms. Best regards, Dean

      Delete
  3. What blows my mind is the insane amount of details you paint on the insane amount of miniatures like the project on show here. Even one mini is plenty for me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thank you very much for your nice comments, Kuan! Production-line painting works well for figures in the same kinds of uniforms; especially more modern ones like WW1 & WW2 types. Kindest regards, Dean

      Delete
  4. Dean, you are diving into retirement with gusto. Excellent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Jonathan. Yes, seems I'm getting into the swing of things :) Kind regards, Dean

      Delete
  5. Dean, two new projects, a Saga win, you are doing retirement up well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot for the kind words, Joe! Oh, and my wife has me doing a few projects around the house too! Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  6. Wow. Dean talk about keeping yourself busy! Love the work you're doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for your kind words, Richard! Much appreciated. Best regards, Dean

      Delete
  7. Good looking Germans and Soviets, somehow I've acquired a winter German ww2 army, how did that happen?
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Iain! Looking forward to seeing your winter Germans. Kind regards, Dean

      Delete
  8. Good to see the painting progressing 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Matt! Posting WIP shots keeps me on track with projects. Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  9. Quite a project, but I am starting to warm to the idea of speed painting to get them to the table. I am taking way to much time painting (which I enjoy) but at the sacrifice of having enough models to game with.

    Happy to hear your enjoying Saga. If your interested I can email you the battle boards a friend I had translated from German to English for your Samurai use. I know you have quite the collection.

    Cheers
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kevin - for both the kind words and Samurai Saga offer. One of the local guys here game me a pdf of the Samurai "fanmade" supplement. I think it's the same one you're referring to as it was supposedly translated to English. It's called, "Age of Samurai". I'm going with the Chosokabe faction - lots of hearthguard with bows, mounted and dismounted. I like a shooty/mobile army :) Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete