Tuesday, May 9, 2023

More Soviet Heavy Metal - Including An Atlantis/Aurora JS-III

 A few more 1/48th scale WW2 Soviet armored vehicles. The SU-100 and two T-34/85s are metal 1/48th models my buddy gave me a few weeks ago; the JS-III is an inexpensive plastic kit picked up off of ebay. It's an old Aurora re-release by Atlantis - only $17 so couldn't pass it up. Very few parts and went together very nicely.

They were all airbrushed with a mixture of various greens on hand, then highlighted with Vallejo Yellow Green dry-brushed on. The decals came from the JS-III kit - exccept for the slogan on the SU-100 which came from a Hobby Boss T-34/76 decal sheet.
I have to ask my buddy who made these metal tanks - they are in 1/48th scale which is unusual nowadays.
The JS-III came with the commander; the rest of the crewmen are leftovers from the Bandai kits.
One of the T-34/85s was missing a lower rear panel so I used some plastic card for a replacement. The rear sproket wells were fashioned from Green Stuff.
Except for the JS-III kit, all of the rest of the tanks were kindly given to me by my buddy. I suppose I need to get some infantry now. Until next time, thanks for stopping by and best wishes to you all.

16 comments:

  1. Brilliant work on those tanks Dean. You are gathering quite a lot of impressive armour in the carpark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Richard! I do need to pick up some infantry too now. Kindest regards, Dean

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you so much as always for the kind words, Michal! Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, Ray! Kindest Regards, Dean

      Delete
  4. Very nice Soviet armour Dean but I think you are right, they really need some Tovarichi on foot now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Keith! Yes, Russian infantry are on the to-do list now. Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  5. I always like when people add crew, more visual appeal. I think your buddy is on to something. How to get your friend to play a certain period... gift him tanks!

    Cheers
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kevin. I did ask my buddy why he had so many 1/48th tanks - he said that's pretty much all that was available back in the day; before folks started making 1/56th. He's now committed to that scale. And I do like adding crew for as it gives the vehicle some "life". :) Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  6. Great looking Soviet armour, looking forward to the infantry!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, Iain. I just ordered a box of infantry. Kindest regards, Dean


      Delete
  7. Excellent Soviet tanks Dean!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Mike! Best regards, Dean

      Delete
  8. T34 looks a bit strange. Either the tank body is too big, or the tower is small. And they are painted cool!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent work with Russian Greens. I have yet to work on a WW2 era Russian tank myself. All I ever did was a 1/35 scale T-55.

    ReplyDelete