Sunday, July 11, 2021

Old World Fountain - Wizkids Deep Cuts

 Here's an Old World style city/town fountain made by Wizkids Deep Cuts. Found it on ebay for about $4 - with shipping came to around $8; but still a good deal, IMO. Plan to use it for Black Powder and Bolt Action as a cover/LOS blocking terrain. 

The main pieces are made from the same (or similar) material as Reaper Bones figures. The "water" parts are semi-transparent plastic whose undersides can be painted to make the "water" look a bit more realistic. 
The fountain parts come primed in a light gray. I dry-brushed Vallejo Stone Grey over the fountain parts and Vallejo Bronze for the Neptune statue. These were then given a sepia wash - the fountain parts dry-brushed again with Stone Grey mixed with a little white for highlights.
I've been wanting a town fountain for some time, and glad to have stumbled upon this kit. Quite a simple kit that paints up very quickly. Also, as the pieces are modular they can be broken down for storage and transport - if needed.

25 comments:

  1. Great acquisition of Dean. I always like things like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alexey. It's also pretty much unbreakable. Perfect for gaming. Kindest regards, Dean

      Delete
  2. I have that kit too. I’ve been meaning to use it for Italian Wars and SYW. Yours turned out very nicely, and I’ll be stealing some ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Peter! Yes, definitely for Italian Wars. I think it's based on an actual one from that period. Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  3. Very nice thing witch definitely adorn your games. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, Dmitry! Kind regards, Dean

      Delete
  4. Nice fountain Dean, the water is very realistic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mike. A really nice kit with good results. Warm regards, Dean

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks, Matt. Glad I held out for this inexpensive, yet nice fountain. Best regards, Dean

      Delete
  6. That is a great looking fountain. I may have to try and find one of those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Simon. I think it will be useful for many gaming scenarios. Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  7. I have seen this fountain too in one if our very few actual hobby shops...conveniently just around the corner from where I work! Here, they retail for $NZ 10....about $US7 or £5. There is a huge range if these Deep Cut figures, almost all fantasy types in hard plastic/resin...but there are a few items useable by hirorical gamers eg I got a pack of two very detailed pack mules for the same ten dollars

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith. Yes, they fo carry mostly fantasy/D&D stuff, but this and the mule are usable for historical. Kind regards, Dean

      Delete
  8. Great fountain Dean ! Nice paint-job on it. It looks fantastic.
    Greetings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, Mario. I like the simplicity of it, and the clear plastic for the water is a plus. Warm regards, Dean

      Delete
  9. Very bice Dean.
    There are some great items in the WizzKids range that we can use in our games

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, Scrivs. I'm happy to have held out for this one - saw some others before, but either the price or the overall look wasn't something I wanted. Kindest regards, Dean

      Delete
  10. Dean,
    I have found WizKids as a great source for accessories, tents, etc.
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Neil. Yes, I'm glad I stumbled upon them while searching for fountains. Kind regards, Dean

      Delete
  11. Most importantly, it looks really good once painted up.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Splendid bit of terrain!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete