Sunday, June 27, 2021

Pavlograd Hussars - Victrix and Perry Figs

Here's the completed 8-man unit of Pavlograd Hussars which are made up of Victrix and Perry plastics, and also a 3-figure metal Perry command set.

The figures with lancers were painted a few months ago using Victrix Polish Lancers and parts of Perry British Dragoons, as well as heads/kiwers from Perry Russian Infantry. The other figures are metal Perry figures, and also another plastic Perry Dragoon with Perry Russian Infantry head. The horse for this last figure is from a Perry plastic Austrian Hussar sprue.
The yellow braiding and lacing was officially changed from yellow to red in 1809, however, I kept them yellow as they look nicer IMO. They also are shown as yellow in some modern illustrations, including those by Osprey and Haythornthwaite.
I may someday up my cavalry units to the usual 12-figures, but for now these will be like the rest of 8-man units I have for Black Powder.
I've mixed Victrix and Perry foot before, but it's nice to see their cavalry also work well together.
On the gaming front, I have a Bolt Action Franco-Prussian War game scheduled for this coming Thursday. It's a refresher game as I haven't played Bolt Action for over a year, and don't want to appear too clueless in September when I'm hosting it at Enfilade. As for projects, I'm waiting on some Perry plastic Austrians and also a few more Imjin War 1/1200th ships from MT Miniatures. I also have Perry plastic AWI stuff for a smallish gaming project. Thanks for dropping by and wishing you all the best!

34 comments:

  1. Dean, your cavalry are stunning. Simply stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Jonathan. Stay cool out there. Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  2. Fantastic work. The thing that's kept me from pulling the trigger on 28mm Russians is the absence of plastic cavalry, but these are making that even more difficult ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, Markus. I'm anxiously awaiting Perry's release of their plastic Russian Dragoons. Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Michal. Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  4. Splendid colors and great job Dean!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Phil! Appreciate the kind comment. Best regards, Dean

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, Norm. Kindest regards, Dean

      Delete
  6. Outstanding work on these hussars, Dean!
    Have a nice BA game!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Dmitry. Looking forward to gaming again - on a more regular schedule. Warm regards, Dean

      Delete
  7. Good job, Dean. Hussars combine perfectly.
    I don't understand the choice of regiment? In 1812 - Not the main theater of the war.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alexey. Although I try to stay historical with unit OOB's, I sometimes concede when the uniform of a particular unit intrigues me - as in this case. At least they were around somewhere the French were :) Kindest regards, Dean

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Nick! Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  9. Fantastic job on these ! Superb !
    Greetings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly, Mario. Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  10. Beautifully done as always Dean 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Matt! Kind regards, Dean

      Delete
  11. Another lovely group of Napoleonic cavalry Dean and I am with you, pick units with interesting uniforms to paint!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, Keith. Another thing I was thinking over was that although 12 (or more) figure cav units look great, for actual gaming on my usual 6x8' table space, 8 figure cav works best for maneuvering, etc. And, I can get them done quicker and have more variety of units. Maybe someday I'll increase to 12, but for now 8 seems to work. Kindest regards, Dean

      Delete
  12. Oh these are so flashy!

    I was not aware you had restarted wargaming again... glad to see you did!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, Burkhard! Kind regards, Dean

      Delete
  13. Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Christopher. Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  14. Splendid looking combination of kits into one great looking unit!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words, Iain. Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  15. Awesome hussars! It's a success, Dean!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Sergey! Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  16. They really look great, Dean,
    My Napoleonic Cavalry units are all 8 figures (18 for infantry).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Peter! I think with my with my 24-nan infantry units, 8-man cavalry units look okay. Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete