Sunday, January 1, 2012

Curteys Medieval Bowmen

Just a small batch of figures to start off 2012. These are very nicely sculpted Curteys figures that had been sitting around unpainted for some time. I was prompted to paint them to beef up my Early-Holy Roman Empire WAB army. My WAB interest has been re-energized due to a projected WAB "tournament" at this year's Enfilade! convention in May.

These guys were painted up pretty quickly with basic block painting and then given a wash of Minwax Tudor Satin stain. In fact, waiting for the stain to dry took longer than the actual base painting.
Here is what I use for the staining process - An old, fairly wide tipped brush; Minwax Tudor Satin stain, which I scoop out with a small plastic cup. This way I can re-seal the can and keep it from drying out too quickly. Latex gloves are nice to have, but not necessary. Finally, I've started to use a paint thinner for areas that pool too much of the stain.
Best wishes to all in 2012!

12 comments:

  1. Another great batch of minis! Just when I was getting used to seeing Nappys on your blog... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done. Also glad to hear another area is running a WAB tournament. I plan to do another here in Wisconsin this coming year and will be playing in Adepticon's WAB tourney also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Gents!

    PC: How many points are the armies at Adepticon? They're talking 2,500-2,800 for our convention. I was thing 2,000 would be good. Best, Dean

    ReplyDelete
  4. 2000 points for the singles tourney on 4x8 tables. Here in La Crosse for our tourney we did 1500 points on 4x6 tables, next time I will also be doing 2000 points. I think 2.5 hours a round was used.

    I have all of the scenarios that I used for our tourney and I can get Adepticon's past scenarios if you guys would like to see what we did.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, PC.

    Do you know Pat Lowinger - Socal Wargammer podcast guy? He's part of the crew hosting this event - he's actually going to be the rules ref. He may be able to use your scenarios. Thanks, Dean

    ReplyDelete
  6. These guys look really nice Dean. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Their well painted arrows will prove useless against all the drab wagons my Hussites will be hiding behind.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely archers Dean. The Miniwax works really well - looks like Army Painter Strongtone.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If its who I think it is, I believe I do know who he is.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the way you have left the black on the solid colours from the undercoat, very nice and affective.

    ReplyDelete