Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Foundry Silver Shields "Argyraspides"

The 24 Foundry Silver Shields I scored off of ebay for a fraction of their original price arrived in the mail today. The seller was unloading a bunch of Foundry World of the Greeks for a dollar a figure - and shipping a cheap (for me) too, as he was in the US. A leader, standard bearer, and musician are also included.

I've been wanting a unit of these guys ever since losing another ebay bid to about 16 of these very same figures several years ago. Those were painted and it was an estate sale; I did win some Eastern Successor models - the ones with the trousers. Those were my first Foundry Macedonian/Greek figures - and I was hooked on Foundry Macedonian/Greeks. Anyway, I'm really happy to have these "Silver Shields" or Argyraspides. I plan to base them in three ranks of eight figures - per the new WAB 2nd Ed. rules for close order troops.

Crusader shields actually look nicer and more realistic than these "bottle cap" shields, but I'm not carving them off. They'll also match the other Foundry figures (with "bottle cap" shields), I already have.

Here are a few images of what they could look like as Argyraspides. The first is by Johnny Shumate.
The next two illustrations are also by Johnny Shumate - and in an issue of Ancient Warfare with an article on the Silver Shields.

1 comment:

  1. ME PARECEN, MANIFICOS, SEGURAMENTE USTED SABRA HACER UNAS PAQUEÑAS OBRAS DE ARTE

    ReplyDelete