Thursday, September 3, 2020

A Macedonian-Successor Army Resurrected

Pardon my slightly bombastic post title, but here's another version of a Macedonian-Successor army of which most of the original units being sold off several years ago. The only ones I sort of regret selling are the 100-plus Foundry Phalangites. Their replacements are Victrix plastics. In fact, most of the current troops are Victrix plastics. The elephants are heavy metal Aventine models which, along with the Foundry and 1st Corps Hypaspists, are from the original army.
From left to right: Victrix Macedonian Heavy Cavalry in wedge formation; Foundry and 1st Corps Hypaspist; Victrix Italo-Greek Light Cavalry; Victrix Greek Archers; Victrix Phalangites; (rear: Aventine Elephants and a Bolt Thrower); Victix Samnites; Victrix Greek Light Cavalry. In the foreground center is a Relic Antiochus.

Here's a picture of my old Successor army. A lot of the figures are with my local gaming buddies, however, the Foundry phalangites were sold to a gentleman in Texas, IIRC.
This should be enough for a decent Hail Caesar game against my buddy's army - however, I have to await his return from an overseas deployment next year. Thanks again for dropping by and best wishes to you all!

35 comments:

  1. Excellent array mate. You are making this army look doable - but I'd still be reluctant to approach that type of army. Great results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your kind words! I suppose the earlier Celts could be ysed as Gallic mercenaries too. Kindest regards, Dean

      Delete
  2. A successor army always makes an impressive sight... and doubly so when it features your painting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Peter and Jonathan. Appreciate your nice compliments. Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you very much again, Michal! Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  4. Fantastic pair of successor armies! They look great!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic armies Dean, both the old and new! You need at least one Macedonian or Successor army...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mike! I know, I hemmed and hawed over replacing the phalanxes after selling off the Foundry units; finally broke down and got these Victrix plastics - which I love for the details and weight savings. Kindest regards, Dean

      Delete
  6. That's very, very cool...and very intimidating! Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is something fantastic about an army, so well painted, all laid out for battle - even if it is not a period I am into! Every Blessing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much again! I know about not being into a period too - so far, I've yet to get the vibes for ACW and ECW - for some reason, those have never really appealed to me, but can appreciate the work of others in the period. Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  8. Lovely looking force there, I sometimes have regrets about all the painted stuff I sold, but if I did.'t then I would never have the space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Scrivs! Yes, in fact, I only add stuff when I have shelf space :) Best regards, Dean

      Delete
  9. Kudos on replacing the phalangites. I'd be daunted to grind through them the one time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, FMB. For the record, the Victrix guys aren't too bad - if you keep the details simple. You can easily get away with basecoating them white - paint the flesh and leather areas, and then give them a wash/stain. The linothorax has nicely sculpted details where the stain will make a lot of the details pop. Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  10. Magnificent army, Dean! This is a success!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Sergey! Best regards, Dean

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Thanks, Denis! Appreciate the visit and kind words. Best regards, Dean

      Delete
  12. Epic my friend!! As a Macedonian resident I admire your skills in this subject!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Didn't realize you were there. Very cool! Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  13. Wonderful stuff Dean, hopefully you can get a game in soon.
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, Stu. Hopefully get back to gaming soon. Kindest regards, Dean

      Delete
  14. Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, Aaron. Great to hear from you. Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  15. Impressive work Dean.....I am not good at selling stuff and admire your determination to rebuild the original army. I have both plastic and metal and both are fine by me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Matt. It took several years before even considering rebuilding this army. Glad I eventually did, though! Best, Dean

      Delete
  16. Both armies look great! My congrats on getting this project done. good luck in future games)

    ReplyDelete