Wednesday, June 21, 2023

Saga - Chosokabe Samurai vs. Normans

Played a Saga game today with my Gempei Era Samurai vs. my buddy's Normans. A bit out of period, but seeing how we used a sea mat, it really didn't matter. I hadn't used these Samurai figures for several years (last time in a Lion Rampant game day), so it was nice to get them out of the cabinet.

I used one of the factions from the "fan made" "Age of Samurai". I chose the Chosokabe factions as they use a lot of bows. I like a fairly shooty and mobile army, although I only had enough mounted bowmen for one hearthguard unit. My warband consisted of two mounted hearthguard (one each composite bows and katana); three foot hearthguard (two bow and one katana); and finally one unit of warriors (monks) with yari (naginata). I liked how they played out - even against Normans run by a seasoned Saga player. I may replace the one foot hearthguard with katana with another bow armed unit.
We played the "Kill the Warlord" scenario which did end at turn six with our two warlords surviving melee.
I went first and was able to kill two of his mounted hearthguard and one foot hearthguard by bow fire.
A unit of each of foot and mounted hearthguard - the Warlord in the background.
Unit of warriors (monks) wielding naginata, and another hearthguard foot unit with bows.
Since I used regular D6 I annotated the values on the battle board. My buddy sent me the files for an updated board with easier to read die markings - below.
There are about 7 or 8 different Samurai factions, but this one is the one using bows the best.
Unit of mounted hearthguard with katana. The Norman foot hearthguard in the distance already losing a figure due to melee.
Norman mounted hearthguard and Warlord.

Foot hearthguard with bows.
Near the end of the game. My Samurai down two units - one each foot and mounted hearthguard.
Samurai Warlord attacking enemy mounted hearthguard - he did well enough, but gained max fatigue.
The final clash of the game - enemy Warlord attacking the Samurai Warlord with max fatigue. They both survived the melee and the game was called a Norman victory as they retained all of their 8 units they started with. Otherwise, it was a close game and I plan on using this warband again - with a switch out for another foot hearthguard with bows.

As for Saga, my impression, after only 3 or 4 games, is that it is definitely one that is best played one on one. There is a bit of back and forth using the abilities on the battle boards (both yours and your opponent's). Definitely not a game I'd want to host (or play in) with multiple players - unless all were experienced Saga players (which I'm not). I will continue playing as it is with a bunch of buddies who regularly meet, and I need to get out of the house to give my wife a break from me now that I'm retired. I may try out a Roman warband in the future as my EIR figures are singly based (best for Saga). Well, thanks for stopping by and wishing you the best.

19 comments:

  1. Great looking Samurai Dean! Is this Saga Age of Samurai available to download anywhere?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike, I don't know where the supplement is online. One of our group had it and sent it to us in pdf. I can email you a copy if it can get you email address. Kindest regards, Dean

      Delete
    2. Dean, I would love to get a pdf of the samurai lists. Could you please email me at burker1 (at) aol (dot) com? Thank you.

      Delete
  2. What a great idea with Saga Samurai !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michal! The author of the rules (from German, I believe) went to a lot of effort to write them. Hope the get published officialy. Kind regards, Dean

      Delete
  3. Nice looking game Dean, and the idea of helping your wife out by getting out of the house for more gaming definitely sounds like a win win situation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Keith! Yes, I tend to get a bit "clingy" with my wife. She needs her space now and again. She actually encourages me to go out and game and otherwise hang out with friends more often. I'm a bit of a homebody, though. :) Kindest regards, Dean

      Delete
  4. A fun looking game although I think my sensitive nature wouldn’t have copied with the sea scape 🫣

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Matt. I was too preoccupied learning the rules to consider the mat. :) Otherwise, a good game. Kindest regards, Dean

      Delete
  5. Lovely game, table and those minis are simply spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mike! My opponent really made the game enjoyable as he is one of the most experienced with the rules in the community here. Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, Richard. Good to hear you liked the post. Kindest regards, Dean

      Delete
  7. Great looking game, nice to see your samurai out and about!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Iain. I just ordered the Hannibal supplement and in the process of re-basing Samnites and Gauls on washers for future games. A bit of an investment when the dice are added. Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  8. Very nice. I have fan made ones from Germany. I had a German friend who translated them for us and my buddy and I made Saga boards and custom made dice.

    Keep up the Samurai feel, those have always been my favorite figures you've done in the past years.

    Cheers
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, Kevin. I do like how the Samurai play. However, since none of the rest of the guys has Samurai, although one is working on Mongols, I went ahead and ordered Age of Hannibal. Currently in the process of re-basing Samnites and Celts onto washers. Kindest regards, Dean

      Delete
  9. Looks amazing, Dean! You also do such great work. A guy in the Saga Thorsday Discord is looking for Saga in your area so I pointed him to your blog to help him connect with your local gaming community. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Monty! Appreciate the visit and kind words. Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete