Friday, June 30, 2023

Smitten With SAGA - And Other Misadventures

Umm, something to do with being retired, I suppose, but my mind has started to wander and come up with things a normal person may not consider. One of these are multiple re-basing projects. I have to blame my recent venture into SAGA with the use of single-based figures. Having just picked up the Age of Hannibal SAGA supplement, whent ahead and re-based some Foundry and 1st Corps Hypaspists, Victrix Gauls, Samnites, and most-recently some Macedonian-Successor Phalangites. Oh, I also re-based some Celtic chariots onto the 50x80mm bases vacated by the Mycenaeans re-based back for WAB. I also picked up the Graeculi and Gallic dice sets. I also started to look at the Franco-Prussian War and AWI figures. The FPW figures are currently on 50mm rounds, 2-figs per; plan to put on 3-figs per and some singles onto the 25mm rounds the AWI figs are on - and also base the AWI figs 3-per on the 50mm rounds (after pulling off the FPW figs). See, this is what happens when you aren't gainfully employed.

Here's tentative SAGA Epirote 6 point warband (one of my buddies has a Carthaginian warband): an Elephant (activates as a unit of Warriors), a unit of mounted Hearthguard, two units of Warriors w/sarissa (Phalanx), a unit each of Mercenary Tarantine Cavalry and Cretan Archers.
Initially, I was going with Samnites as Mercenaries as my Phalangites were already on multi-fig bases, but after realizing the Graeculi Battle Board had almost half of the activation abilities assigned to Phalanx troops I ended up re-basing 16 (two 8-man Warrior units) of the Phalangites onto 20mm washers. They'll be able to rejoin their multi-based brethren on magnetized 40mm squards again if needed.
Oh, and I had also ordered a copy of Hail Caesar 2nd Edition, as another one of my buddies has it and is keen to get his Successors in battle again. For those who haven't picked it up, the book is very nice with an actual table of contents, as well as updated (clearer to understand?) diagrams, etc. I was happy with the original, but figured I'd get it anyway. The one odd (interesting?) thing is the time-frame covered. It has sections on Bronze Age (3300-1200 BC), Classical Greece (510-323 BC), Hellenistic Era (323-31 BC), Late Roman Republic (134-27 BC), Dark Ages (AD 476-1066), and finally Wars of the Roses (AD 1455-1487). Granted there are supplements (which the author states are still compatible with the 2d Ed.) that cover of the time periods left out, but AD 1066-1455 had some significant conflicts - Hundreds Years War comes to mind. Anyway, just wanted to let you know that I've not given up on the hobby in my retirement, in fact, I've been revisiting projects (like the re-basing) which I would otherwise not be inclined to if still working "9-5". Wishing you all the best and thanks for stopping by.

15 comments:

  1. Great looking Epirote warband and other armies Dean!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mike. I'm looking forward to seeing how the warband plays against my buddy's Carthaginians in a couple of weeks. Kindest regards, Dean

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, Michal! It's its nice having to relook how to use the figures in future games. Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  3. Warbands with elephants what fun! They look great , sounds like you have embarked on rebasing on an epic scale!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Iain. Rebasing is something which doesn't cost much and can actually help reorganize the figures more effectively. Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  4. Well done sir, I find being retired that having a smaller foot print works much better for me, hence Saga (which happens to be a pretty darn good game), and other ventures where I play on a 4 X 4 or smaller. My goal is to have several legacy collections so when I reach the age of not painting as much, I can simply go to the shelf and pull out what I want to play for the day and put it away at the end and then have a nice brew sitting on my couch watching an old black and white movie. If any of you remember those.

    Cheers
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the great thoughts and sentiments, Kevin. Yes, being newly retired does seem to open them mind up to things which would otherwise be put on the back burner due to work commitments. For the record, I do like watching certain B&W movies; and not all old ones. I like watching the ones by Jim Jarmusch: "Down By Law", "Dead Man", and "Coffee and Cigarettes". :) Best regards, Dean

      Delete
  5. Mass rebasing....oh dearie, dearie me, maybe I am not in such a rush to retire, if that's what awaits me Dean! 😆

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! Entirety understand re-basing your concerns. If I actually had real world commitments (work), I wouldn't even consider it. This doesn't cost anything, other than new flocking as I'm able to reuse the old bases since the acrylic caulking comes off fairly easily. Just cost time, which is now my greatest commodity. Kindest regards, Dean

      Delete
  6. Impressive and gorgeous army Dean, well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, Phil! Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  7. I'm not a fan of rebasing, but can accept the necessity.
    Lovely looking army Dean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! Right, me too. It's just that I have time to do it now. Also, since I re-used bases I already have it didn't cost much - just some flocking, which I use sparingly anyway. Kindest regards, Dean

      Delete
  8. Nice looking Army Dean. Got pointed to your blog by some MN Saga buddies. I am moving back to Seattle and looking to find some games of Saga and Bolt Action. I just finished painting up 6pts of Macedonians for an event and coincidentally picked up Hail Caesar 2nd edition as well. Thanks for sharing your hobby progress- inspiring.

    ReplyDelete