Wednesday, June 14, 2023

Battle Honors Sd.Kfz. 251's

Finished these up today, inspite of spending over an hour unclogging my airbrush after mistakenly running distilled vinegar through it instead of distilled water. Thankfully the camo was done before the clogging.

I used epoxy for the attaching the upper and lower halves together. The kits being older (OOP) Battle Honors metal, the fit was not precise, so some Green Stuff was needed to fill in some of the gaps.
I was about to spray the interior with dunkelgelb but the airbrush kept clogging. I took it apart several times to clean it, but it kept clogging - after I kept adding a little bit of the vineger - which I had thought was distilled water. The jugs of distilled vinegar and water are kept next to each other in the pantry and I grabbed the vinegar by mistake. I thought the smell of the vinegar was the Vallejo acrylic air paints.
With the few gaps filled in and painted up, the vehicles look nice.
A couple of Warlord Games figures for size/scale comparison.

Well this should be it for the game on Friday. We'll see how it plays out. Thanks for stopping by and wishing you the best.

12 comments:

  1. These look great, Dean! Too bad about the vinegar and water mix-up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jonathan. Lesson learned...vinegar will harden acrylic paint. At least my airbrush is inexpensive, and I think it's cleaned. Kindest regards, Dean

      Delete
  2. Lovely job Dean. I made the mistake with mine of painting separately with almost a year between them and the paint jobs don’t match.

    I have a love hate relationship with my airbrush!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Norm. Yes, I too use the airbrush with some trepidation and anxiety :) Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks again for your kind words, Michal! Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  4. These look fantastic Dean and clearly show the advantages of using an airbrush on vehicles! Look forward to reading about your upcoming game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, Keith. Yes, also looking forward to the game tomorrow. I have 4 players - 2 per side, so I should be able to GM more coherently. Kindest regards, Dean

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thank you very much for your kind words, Richard! Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  6. Excellent looking halftracks, it's easy to have problems with airbrushes I find!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Iain. Yes, troublesome as airbrushes can be (for me anyway), you just can't replicate German AFV camo with a brush like with an airbrush. Kindest regards, Dean

      Delete