Thursday, August 19, 2021

McFarlane Space Marine - Imperial Fists Blade Champion

 Yet another one of those "action figures" from McFarlane. This one painted up as an Imperial Fists Champion with power sword. I may add some "bling" to him later - like some purity seals and possibly a loin cloth.

Both the sword and Champion head/helmet are from an ebay seller who specializes in aftermarket parts for these figures. I think 3D printed, and of high quality.
This was only my second attempt at painting those "power" streaks on the sword. The first few attempts were done on 28mm figures many years ago. After watching a YouTube tutorial, I picked up a bottle of Vallejo Glaze Medium to facilitate the painting. It was one of the few bottles still in stock at the FLGS. They've not had a resupply of paint and other products in over a year. I also perused their Warhammer stuff and saw 28mm Space Marines going for over $40 - double what I paid for this one at Target. As I don't intend on gaming 40K, and just like painting the figures, this is a great trade off for me.
Skulz, skulz...man, I gotta have dem skulz! Again, the chapter icons/badges on the pauldrons were done freehand.
Here's how I started on the pauldrons - sketching the basic outlines with a pencil.
Paint was then added in light layers; below shows the initial work; I widened the eye sockets of the skull a bit more after this picture.
So far, still enjoying working on these larger scaled figures, but do have a refresher Bolt Action Franco Prussian War game scheduled for next Friday. Also, the week after that is our annual convention, Enfilade; which was cancelled last year. Incidentally, our Governor just declared a statewide indoor wearing of masks starting next Monday - regardless of being vaccinated or not. We predict attendance at the convention to be about half the usual number. Until next time, wishing you all good health and happy hobby pursuits!

10 comments:

  1. Amazing looking figure Dean, the streaks on the sword are ace!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm glad you liked the effects on the sword. As I mentioned, this isn't something I've done much, if at all, in the past. Kindest regards, Dean

      Delete
  2. Beautiful work Dean! Great work on shoulder pads.
    Best

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, Michal. Appreciate the visit and kind words. Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, Stu! Just a diversion of sorts from wargaming proper. I like painting these big figures. Best regards, Dean

      Delete
  4. These are great Dean! Now, you could easily do s few sci fi or Pulp type figures then do small scale scenarios based on either an evil scientific genius unleashing his warbots on the nations of the world OR an alien invasion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Keith. They actually have some Necrons and supposedly will release an Ork later this year. We'll see - I've never painted either of these so far. Kindest regards, Dean

      Delete
  5. Splendid looking Imperial Fist! I've got a crimson fist army in the loft,the freehand icons are really impressive!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Iain. I must admit, I don't have a 40K background, but while watching a lot of YouTube videos recently for research, it's sound very interesting. There's an Australian YouTuber channel on 40K called MajorKill which I've found not only informative, but very funny. Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete