Saturday, August 7, 2021

McFarlane 7" Space Marines - Space Wolves, Salamanders, Blood Angels and Ultramarines

 Finished up the pauldrons and painted and detailed the weapons.

The plasma incinerator with the Salamander is a stand-in until he gets an "approved" weapon like a flamer or meltagun. This weapon error was brought to my attention by one of my buddies who knows the lore. There's additional weapon types on ebay so no problem.
As you may surmise, I don't have any 40K background other than painting up a few Space Marines and playing one (1) game many years ago. That all said, I like painting larger scale figures every now and then, and Space Marines do have a lot of possibilities.
EDIT: Group photo with pre-painted Blood Angel and Ultramarine figures which were given a little bit of detailing - not much. 28mm figures for scale comparison. I switched the left hand of the Ultramarine onto the the Space Wolf to hold the chainsword which came with the Ultramarine.
Anyway, just a short diversion from wargaming proper. I have a Bolt Action Franco Prussian War refresher game scheduled later this month - right before hosting it at Enfilade. Thanks for stopping by and wishing you all the best in health and hobby pursuits.

21 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, Jonathan. Appreciate the kind words. Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  2. Awesome...it would be a brave soul who would decide to game in this scale...but it would be a fantastic looking game!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, John. Lol! I used to play with the original GI Joe's, so I suppose these could be gamed too. Kindest regards, Dean

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Michal! Your kind words are much appreciated. Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  4. Awesome space marines Dean ! Love your shoulder pads.
    Greetings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly, Mario. I am quite happy with the way they turned out. Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  5. Great looking space marines! I had no idea Salamanders weren't allowed plasma weapons, you learn something new every day!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Iain. Yes, me too - the gaming buddy who enlightened me started playing 40K in the late-80's - Rogue Trader stuff. Best regards, Dean

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I really enjoyed working on these large scale "action" figures. Kindest regards, Dean

      Delete
  7. These are awesome! I've got one but have yet to paint it. Where did you get the beakie helmet? I'd love to get one of those!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Matt! These are fun to paint up & pose :)! As for the beakie helmet - got it off ebay - here's the link https://www.ebay.com/itm/114517513734 - there are also a lot of other stuff for these McFarlane figures - in fact, I just ordered a Blade Champion helmet and sword - for yet one more figure which I plan to paint up as an Imperial Fist. Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the info, I'm ordering a beakie helm right now!

      Delete
    3. Sorry to be a pain, but how did you take the figures apart?

      Delete
    4. Matt - no problem at all - I did take them down a bit - left the legs together at the "waist" - here's an image from an earlier post showing what I took apart https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-qle2mAiIb90/YQVy-bclxdI/AAAAAAAAO8s/6spq_xynalMAo_79xTgzUcCyD17STLeoQCLcBGAsYHQ/s2048/20210730_140756.jpg - some YouTube videos have some folks taking the legs apart and also the feet/hands. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xw4TdnZDVfg I left those on. The hardest part is getting the body off at the waist - a large ball-joint. Taking them apart wasn't too hard - some folks say to soak in hot water first, but I didn't and it wasn't hard. The only hard part I had putting back was the torso back onto the waist/leg connection. I used a hairdryer (also a YouTube tip) to heat up the waist receiving end first, and then it went on without too much difficulty. Have fun painting him up! Dean

      Delete
  8. They look pretty cool. I may have to get one of those, and make a gigantic Cerulean Templar out of it for fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just got back from the local Target store - I picked up their one remaining unpainted figure and another pre-painted Blood Angel - couldn't pass them up as they were $19.00 each. In fact, I had to ask a clerk to see if they had any, and he found those in the storeroom. Also, several of the Sororitas figures - painted and unpainted (which I didn't pick up). Hopefully you can find some at your local Target (supposedly Walmart and Best Buy had them too). Kind regard, Dean

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Lol! Yes, they is, Peter! Working on a couple more - kind of got the bug for these. Kindest regards, Dean

      Delete