Saturday, May 30, 2020

Victrix EIR Legionaries Attacking - WIP

Although I'm still awaiting the arrival of my own Victrix EIR Legionaries order, thanks to my buddy James (who just left for an overseas deployment), I got to start work on 16 Victrix EIR Legionaries Attacking figures he donated to me.
I decided to start with a black undercoat as there are a lot of metal areas on these figures. I gave the flesh, trousers and pilum shafts a wash of Vallejo ink/stain - black mixed with flesh wash. These areas will be given highlights. I also discovered during the staining that I had forgotten to paint their scarves.
Besides the metallic colors, these are the ones used for the rest of the figures - I tried to keep colors to a minimum. Leather Brown used for sandals and straps; Beasty Brown for trousers and sword pommels and hand guards; Stone Grey for tunics and sword hand grips; Burnt Red for tunics and sword scabbards (actually with a little Flat Red mixed in); Bronze Flesh mixed 50:50 with Dark Sand for the pilum shafts.
Over the black base coat, I dry-brushed Vallejo Gunmetal mixed with Silver for the lorica and helmets. Some of the helmets were painted bronze - which I actually use a 50:50 mix of Vallejo Bronze and Copper for. The shield transfers are from Battle Flag. Great price, but they are a bit thin and delicate. I managed to only destroy two of them during the application process. A word of caution when using these - be sure not to get the backing wet prior to being ready to apply, and don't soak the decals for more than a minute or so - in fact, 30 seconds might be long enough; any longer and it gets very soft. The ends can flip over easily too - and very hard, if not impossible to correct.

Thanks for visiting and best wishes to you all in your hobby endeavors and elsewhere.

7 comments:

  1. Looking good Dean!

    Whenever a troublesome decal’s edges flip over I usually submerge it back in water and handle it with a fine pair of pincers to twist the edges back into shape. I find it works most times with the right dose of patience and luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank, Mike. Yes, that's a good method. These are really thin, and the handling time brief. Kindest regards, Dean

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, Peter. Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  3. They look pretty cool already Dean.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What is it that always draws me in when it comes to Roman Legionaries? Love it, looking good sir.

    Cheers
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great to see you underway with these and already looking good Dean.

    ReplyDelete