Friday, May 1, 2020

Display Cabinet Rundown - Socially Distant Sharing

Well, since all the yard work is done, figured I'd share images of my display cabinets. I shared a similar post several years ago, but since then I've sold off some of the earlier stufff and acquired new stuff as well. Anyway, hopefully you'll enjoy the virtual tour.
All the armor pieces are reproductions - the samurai stuff is from Iron Mountain Armory - a company in China. The others are mostly Indian-made stuff. The plate armor legs and arms were made in the Ukraine, and could actually be used in HMB/Buhurt - but not by me!
This is the larger cabinet with a sliding glass front door. Great to protect the stuff inside, but not ideal when taking photos.
 The smaller cabinet - with more conventional side opening doors.
Starting with the larger cabinet - mostly Verlinden 120mm-200mm figures. The top shelf also has some 13th C. mounted knights from Fireforge, Mirliton and others - many with heraldry from the Codex Manesse.  The bottom shelf has has 14th C. foot and mounted knights from BTD and a few Front Rank (mounted) - most of the heraldry is English nobility.
Here again, 120mm Verlinden resin figures in the back - Napoleonic French - with a lone Prussian Leib Hussar in the corner. Mostly Perry and Victrix plastics in front - a few Black Hussar, Front Rank and Foundry (Napoleon and Staff) also present.
Top shelf, Perry and Victrix British foot and some KGL Hussars; Perry French cavalry assaulting squares. Some Front Rank command figures. Bottom shelf, Trojan War figures - Redoubt and Foundry - and several OG chariots as well. A few specialty figures (like Herakles), but can't recall the maker. Some of these were the very first 28mm figures I acquired - Redoubt Trojan War range; before getting into Wargaming - I just loved the period.
Top shelf with some 120mm resin figures of various make - mostly Verlinden. Couple of Aventine elies on the right, supported by Victrix plastic Samnites and Greek cav. On the left are Crusader Gladiators. Behind them is a space reserved for a current project - hint: starts with "Victrix" and ends with "EIR." Bottom shelf a mix of large scale resin and plastic kits. The Roman Signifer is a 200mm Verlinden resin. The knights are re-released 1/8th scale Aurora plastic model kits. The Black Prince and Skinner's Horseman are 1/12th scale Airfix plastic kits. The Samurai is a resin figure from Jimmy Flintstone.
This is the top shelf from the smaller cabinet. 1/16th scale plastic Knights from MiniArt and a 120mm resin Swiss Crossbowman in the rear. In front of them some Curteys Medieval foot and some Perry HYW French. Sandwiched between the larger figures and 28mm ones are various 1/35th-54mm scale figures; a lone Tamiya 1/24th WWII German squad leader is also present.
120mm Samurai and Mongol figures - the Samurai on foot is a Verlinden with a scratch-built sashimono (the character is the Chinese character Mu - "nothingness"). Can't recall who makes/made the other two. Perry Samurai and Choson Koreans, as well as some TAG Chinese cavalry in front.
Hinchcliffe 120mm metal "Taisho" Heian Samurai flanked by mostly TAG Heian Samurai. A few Kingsford Sohei also - including the mounted one. A Reaper Bones red Oni in the back being surrounded by Sohei.
WHFB Empire. I sold off all of the "Core" troops, but the remnants can be used in smaller games like Dragon Rampant.
Top shelf has 1/12th scale Imai/Imex plastic knights. In front of them are Eagles of Empire, North Star and Perry (Zouaves) FPW figures. Bottom shelf a mix of larger figures - 120mm resins and Airfix 1/12th scale plastic kits of Richard I and Joan of Arc.
Addendum: Here's my Ikea bookcase with my reference material. I like the ones with a lot of illustrations and not too many words.

Thanks for stopping by and it would great to see posts of your collections or displays too. Until next time, stay healthy and keep up the hobby!

44 comments:

  1. This is what we do and you have many beautiful things. I aim to have my own room in 12 months which will be similarly adorned. I too will have to share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds great. Looking forward to seeing your collection!

      Delete
  2. Dean! Your collections and display cases are impressive. While my library is nicely arranged in large cabinets, all of my figures are stacked in boxes in the game room under tables, along the walls, almost everywhere. They are certainly not displayed in the your fine manner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words, Jonathan. I suppose I am able to use display cases as I have a relatively small collection when compared to folks like you who've been in the hobby for a long longer. I can only imagine how many great armies you have. Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  3. Dude it's like a freaking museum! Beautifully done. It still cracks me up how your dog always does a where's waldo photo bomb!

    Cheers
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Thank you so much, Kevin. I guess you could say I'm an unrepentant collector. Even as a kid I had a need to collect stuff; stamps, sea shells, Hot Wheels. Compulsive, greedy, perhaps? :) Kindest regards, Dean

      Delete
  4. Lovely display room! My figures aren't even in the house, they're in the shed with my books, I have got a Billy bookcase with glass doors where I have most of my figures but I think I'm going to fill it up soon and then the others will be in boxes in the shed!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again for your visit and kind words, Iain. I've only put some command stands in the displays, which I usually spend more effort on; and leave the rank and file in stackable plastic bins. Warm regards, Dean

      Delete
  5. Magnificent arrangement. I like the way that you combine the large scale display figs with the wargame sets: nice. Impressive arms and armor, too! Interesting post topic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Ed. Appreciate your visit and nice comment. A while back I saw a display of figures in different scales, and liked the overall look. Stole the idea. Kind regards, Dean

      Delete
  6. A cracking looking display. Love the figures and the armour. That must absolutely brilliant when you are there in the room. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your visit and nice comments. Much appreciated. I sit right across of the display and from time to time I take a quick look just to remind me of what not to add. ;) Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  7. WoW ... Real Museum! Awesome collection, Dean. I have no words to express my admiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, you're very kind, Vasiliy. I'm glad to hear you liked the tour. Best regards, Dean

      Delete
  8. Very impressive collection! Nice to see!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Sergey. Happy to hear you liked the display. Warm regards, Dean

      Delete
  9. That's a seriously impressive collection Dean!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Nick. Appreciate your visit and kind words. Warm regards, Dean

      Delete
  10. That is such an impressive collection Dean, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again for your visit and nice comments, Michael. Best regards, Dean

      Delete
  11. A great looking display Dean an the large scale figures are particularly impressive. The fact that you have some of the very large scale Airfix kits in there speaks volumes for your skills as a painter...these sculpts possibly date from the 1960's and were not particularly detailed from my recollection, but they look just as good as the far more intricate Verlinden figures. Fantastic collection beautifully displayed, like many others, my figures are all hidden away in cardboard boxes in the garage and very rarely see the light of day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Keith. I was inspired by recent posting of your own wonderful collection. Kindest regards, Dean

      Delete
  12. Oh my! That is one awesome collection Dean! Mine is a non-starter next to this. Hats off to you Sir!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, Mike you are very kind. Your brushwork is amazing and inspiring. Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  13. Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Mike! Kind regards, Dean

      Delete
  14. What a collection!
    All looking fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Michal. Best regards, Dean

      Delete
  15. What an awesome collection! I'm particularly impressed by the larger scaled figurines. They look impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for your visit and interest. I actually started painting large scale figures before wargaming figures. Well I did have 1/72 Airfix as a kid too. Warm regards, Dean

      Delete
  16. Glad to look at such a gorgeous and little museum Dean, beautiful collections of minis and lovely hats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much as always Phil. Best regards, Dean

      Delete
  17. Dean, such collection will cause envy in any collector. I will separately note delightful glass cabinets

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thank you so much for your thoughtful and kind words, Denis. Warm regards, Dean

      Delete
  18. Great collection Dean, a great way to showcase your efforts.
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Stu. Appreciate your visit and nice comments. Best regards, Dean

      Delete
  19. I think I must have spent a good 30 minutes admiring the items in your collection. That really is superb and shows the effect of many thousands of hours of skill and dedication.

    Your storage cabinets are beautiful and something for me to aspire to...maybe I'll have more space at my next house. The sight of your 1/12th Scale Airfix Skinner's Horse model took me back to my teenage years. I built and painted the same model before I left home to join the Army. Alas, it never quite survived being in storage, though I have found the main parts in my loft recently in a box, so it could be repaired with some work I think.
    Looking forward to seeing your new Victrix figures being shown! :-)
    Best wishes,
    Jason

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for your kind words and interest, Jason. I managed to pick up all of the figures off of ebay. I lucked out and got them at great prices. I think the Skinner's Horse was about $20 or so. The prices vary considerably on ebay. I've seen some of the Verlinden going for much more than I picked mine up for. Timing and patience is the key. In any case, best wishes and health to you. Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  20. Really impressive collection, Dean! Can’t believe it’s true:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thank you so very much, Dmitry. Warm regards, Dean

      Delete
  21. Wonderful stuff, Dean. It took 25 years for my wife to let my military books in the living room; all the troops are in the basement, so only toured by those interested in same, and if i had glass cabinets, they would far exceed the value of the troops, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and your kind words, Peter. Best regards, Dean

      Delete
  22. A fantastic collection - thank you for sharing.

    Tony

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure Tony. Thanks for your visit and kind words. Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete