Wednesday, July 5, 2023

4-Player SAGA Age of Hannibal Game

Got my Epirote warband bloodied today in a multi-player game today. Teamed up with another Epirote warband and we faced a joint Carthaginian-Republican Roman force. I know, SAGA makes strange bedfellows sometimes. My inexperience and usual lack of forethought was exposed early on when I had failed to allocate enough activation dice for all of my units in turn 1. Compared to what I normally play, this game really needs to be given some thought before executing moves/actions. Kind of slow, but I'm enjoying it with the SAGA crew I'm a part of.

Start of turn 1. My warband nearest: Tarantine merc cavalry with javelins, Cretan merc archers, two units of Warriors with sarissa and Phalanx rule (as long as they retain their SAGA dice), Hearthguard Companion cavalry, Elephant, and Warlord.

My battle buddies force, pretty much similar to mine, except he didn't have any light cavalry.

The Roman force that opposed my warband. Early one I took out a few of his Levy javelinmen and Warriors by missile fire from my Cretan Archers and Tarantine cav.

A view of the Roman warband facing my Epirotes.

The center and right of the combined Epirote force. My buddies phalanxes facing Carthaginian elephants. They battled it out in several turns (we played 5 turns); and the two units of Carthaginian elephants were destroyed in combat. The Phalanx units were also decimated.

My Epirote center - which admittedly didn't see much action beside the two Phalanx units going head to head with the Roman Warriors and Hearthguard.

Although one of my Phalanx units destroyed the Roman Warrior unit it face, I used a SAGA ability to have my second Phalanx unit charge into the other Roman Warrior unit. The second Roman unit used a plethora of SAGA ability/reaction dice to counter the attack and ended up killing off all but one of the Phalangites. The result was my two Phalanx units being reduced to losing their SAGA dice.

Near the end of the bame after calling it a close draw. Both sides lost many units and was pretty much a slugfest. One thing I learned is that I prefer a shooty, fast moving warband over a ponderous and slow moving force. I'll likely leave home the elephant and probably the pikes the next time I field a Greek warband. I may use some Samnites as they have javelins and can move through rough terrain without hinderance. I may also try out a Gallic warband too - see how Chariots with javelins work. Javelins are great because you get a combined move and shoot for 1 activation. Warlord in chariot; two mounted units of Hearthguard (2 chariots per unit); a mounted unit of Warriors, two foot Warrior units, and a Levy unit of missile troops - the rules give them either bows or javelins so these slingers will have to be proxy figs. My buddy said that I could use these as bows as slings and bows have the same stats.
Thanks for stopping by and wishing you all the best.

12 comments:

  1. Good to see you getting in a game, Dean, and with your new troops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, Jonathan. Joining an enthusiastic group who meets regularly is a great way for me to start in on the rules. Kindest regards, Dean

      Delete
  2. Great looking skirmishes and battles Dean….saga with elephants must be tough 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Matt. Well, since I only got my elephant into action late in the game, I really should try it out more next time. Same with my Hearthguard cavalry. For some reason I kept thinking they were blocked from moving by terrain and my other unit. However, I later realized the terrain in front of them was passable - it was only a small hill. My buddies kept telling me that too. I just got too focused on my missile troops - I really like shooting more than melee. Kindest regards, Dean

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks, Michal. I'm lucky to have a good SAGA gaming group that have a lot of warbands for different periods. Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, Richard. I'm looking forward to the next game day in a couple of weeks. The SAGA group I'm with usually meets the first and second Wednesdays of each month. I'm planning to do it reguarly. Kindest regards, Dean

      Delete
  5. Indeed Saga is a thinking man’s game. While my opponent is pondering his allocation of dice on his turn my mind is already churning up my next move. I do my turns in half the time my regular opponent does, that’s where the game can bog down. But I still have fun.

    Glad you’re taking names and kicking butt!

    Cheers
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kevin. Yes, definitely a different kind of game I would normally play, but an interesting change of pace sometimes. Kind of like a side bar hobby. And one which you can build various warbands without having to acquire a lot of figures. Best regards, Dean

      Delete
  6. Handsome troops, and it looks like you had fun, which is surely what matters most!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great looking game and it sounds like you had a blast!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete