Sunday, March 26, 2023

Tigers Striped - 1/48th Tamiya and AFV Club Models

Pulled out the airbrush again today. Initially only planned to prime them, but ended up adding the camo. The one without tracks is the AFV kit that has zimmerit molded on; the other one is the Tamiya.

This time I used the Vallejo set that has Dunkelgelb RAL 7028 and other colors. I painted the Tamiya first using the Olivgrun RAL 6003, but it looked too dark. For the AFV Tiger I added a some brighter green from the other Vallejo set I had. The Rotbraun RAL 8017 was also a bit too dark for my tastes so I added some reddish Rotbraun RAL 8012 (primer) to it.
The pattern on the Tamiya reminds me a bit of Charlie Brown's t-shirt design.
For detailing I plan to use oil washes - it'll be another first for me. Supposedly this is a better way to do pin-lining as the oil based wash can be cleaned up using mineral spirits/thinner which should leave the acrylic painted camo unaffected.
Pretty satisfied with the results of the airbrush. One thing that was a little troublesome was having to stop a few times to clean and unclog the airbrush.  Also, as this airbrush doesn't have a detachable paint cup, I had to clean it out between colors.
I also painted up and stained some tank commanders. The one on the far left is from the Tamiya kit and the rest from an old box of Bandai figures.

Well it was nice to get more familiar with the airbrush. Thanks again for dropping by and wishing you all the best.

14 comments:

  1. Excellent tanks and crew Dean!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words, Mike. Appreciate it very much. Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  2. Beautiful kitties!
    Love the camo Dean.
    Best regards

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michal. Looking forward to detailing them. Warm regards, Dean

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, Christopher. Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  4. They are amazing looking tanks Dean. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Richard. Kindest regards, Dean

      Delete
  5. More great work Dean - personally, I think I like the on the left in all your images a bit more than the other - but they are both very nice - as are the crew figures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith. I also think the one on the left looks a bit nicer. Pin lining and weathering should help too. Kindest regards, Dean

      Delete
  6. Nicely done Dean suitably stripy tigers 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Matt. I tried to follow historical examples, but still limited to my airbrushing skills, and possibly the lower quality airbrush I currently have. Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete