Tuesday, January 4, 2022

First Project of The New Year - ECW Pike & Shotte Revisited

Actually started on some of these before the end of last year. I ended up buying the rest of the Warlord Games Pike and Shotte figures my buddy had - although these were already painted by him years ago. He had intended to use them in TFL's "In The Buff", but no one else was interested at the time. This round of figures included 48 more cavalry (12 of which are metal cuirassiers) and 160 foot - enough pike and shotte to flesh out several more regiments. He also threw in 15 cannon and crew from Old Glory. The image below shows most of these new acquisitions as well as the ones previously painted - and just based with the newly arrived Litko bases. I plan to touch up or repaint the figures and mount them all on Litko bases. They are currently on card stock bases and easily removed off of them. The one minor issue is that my buddy used a very thick coat of wood stain on the figures so much of the details are now hidden or covered over. Not too big of a deal as these are all rank and file figures.

I added one of the new painted pike units to one with musketeers I pained with a can a light blue spray paint. The ones he had were pretty close in color, but being a bit retentive, I had to paint them the same blue to match the musketeers. I used an old tip and sprayed some of the paint into a foil make shift palette and brushed the paint on.
In addition to these figures, I also placed a Warlord Games order since I thought I needed 12 more horses for the riders I got from my buddy in the first purchase. Lo and behold he found the 12 horses with this second round of painted figures. Anyway, I added a box of Scots Covenanters to the order as it was a "freebie" add on with Warlord's order - which pretty much makes the $25 shipping a wash; in fact, the Covenanters go for $34, so, maybe I made out by $9? Oh, and I also ordered some Perry pikeman figures since again I didn't know about this second round of figures from my buddy and wanted more pikes. Oh, well, I should be pretty well occupied in the coming weeks to get all of these figures done. I am hoping to do a Marston Moor game once the figures are all ready. Thanks for dropping by and hope you're all having a great start to the new year.

26 comments:

  1. Looks like a good winter project. Like your 'paint all the coats first'approach to the project. It definitely looks like the units are Deliberations 3/4 done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, Joe! Yes, I like the variety of colors for coats in the period (war). However, as in the WotR, I'll have to fudge which units were at actual battles. Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  2. A nice, big boost to your ECW project. Happy New Year, Dean!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Jonathan. As one of the scenarios I want to try out will be Marston Moor - which was one, if not the, largest battle fought in the England. Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  3. Fantastic looking project Dean!
    best wishes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michal! I usually don't buy painted stuff, but the deal was too good to pass up and a huge increase in units. Kindest regards, Dean

      Delete
  4. A great shot in the arm to your new project. With the differing sources of figures, there should be some nice variation to paint and own (and 48 cavalry will be an impressive sight).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Norm. I'm looking forward to adding the Perry pikemen to the units with Warlord muskets. I think they'll blend in well together. Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  5. Bonus figures are always good, and I'll follow this project with keen attention. Getting into ECW myself, and it's nice to get this kind of a jump on the project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you much, Markus. Although I don't normally pick up painted figures, the deal my buddy gave me was too good to pass up. He really went all in himself, at least in the past. Kindest regards, Dean

      Delete
  6. Great progress Dean ! I would go crazy if so many miniatures would stand on my paint table at once , but respect for the people who can ! Best wishes & lots of painting / playing fun in the new year !
    Greetings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mario! I know what you mean - I woke up this morning and thought, "Is this a nightmare project?" :) Then, after a few cups of coffee, figured it'll be fine. Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thanks, Ray! Have a great 2022! Best regards, Dean

      Delete
  8. What a disaster Dean! Sounds like you are going to have spare troops left over AGAIN, and you may need to buy even more figures to round out the units! Marston Moor has akways been on my gaming bucket list but as you say, it may well have been the largest battle of the war. At least half the "Parliamentarian" army was actually Scottish, and they played a significant role in defeating Prince Rupert, particularly the lancers (although Cromwell claimed to have done all the hard work!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! This is well past the slippery slope phase! Yes, the Scots were a good-sized contingent at the battle. I'm looking forward to getting this game in soonest. Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  9. Impressive ECW collection Dean!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mike! Yes, giving my Napoleonics a close run - well, if only the Russians, British and Austrians could've fought the French as a single battle! :) Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  10. Can't wait to see this move along Dean and already you are to a flying start!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words and encouragement, Michael! Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  11. Dean - Now you are talking my language! I plan on finishing my initial Scots for the ECW (it'll be a generic army to fight on all sides) and plan on playing a few games using "Victory without Quarter."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words and visit, Neil! Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  12. Happy New Year Dean! I can say that it's the first time seeing that trick with the spray. Inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot for the kind words. Hope you may be able to use the tip someday. Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  13. A big boost to the project and a lot of figures on the go 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly, Matt. The new round of figs were already painted - which I am painting over or touching, so not too bad. Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete