Sunday, March 7, 2021

Victrix Mercenary Hoplites With Battle Flag Shield Decals

The decals arrived yesterday - only took about a week and a half to arrive to WA State (Westcoast USA) from the UK. As posted earlier, the figures themselves were already painted a few weeks ago.

I used about four or five left-over LBMS transfers, just for varieties-sake. The Battle Flag set comes with 50 decals of assorted designs; which is more than enough for the 48-figure  Victrix sets of Hoplites. Quite a good deal, and they are traditional water-slide decals, so very easy to apply. In fact, for round shields like these, I much prefer water-slide as you can move them around to center them. LBMS, nice as they are, can be a bit of a problem if they aren't centered correctly when first applied as they have an adhesive face and can't really be moved around once they're on.
In fact, I was very pleased with these decals from Battle Flag. They are very durable and can be moved around a lot without breakage. I did use a deal softener to seat them better, but again, no issues as they are quite tough.  I was a bit worried as the Roman shield decals I used from them before were kind of brittle and harder to apply. They seemed thinner than these Greek Hoplite ones.
I used a small dab of acrylic caulking to "glue" the shields onto the figures. This worked great, as they shields could be moved around a bit  before hardening. I then went over with some watered down brown to paint over any of the white caulking showing.
The one shield motif that I don't really care for is the somewhat cartoonish Medusa head that both Battle Flag and LBMS make; I think I only used one of them.
Next in the pain queue is the Perry Russian high command set. After those, I might try my hand a scratch-building some gun emplacements for the Russian guns. As far as the Russians themselves, I think I'll hold off on more foot figures and await the release of the Perrys' plastic Dragoon set. Well, so much for now. Hope you all had a good weekend and ready to take on the new week. Until next time, best wishes to you all!

45 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, Michal! Glad to have finished them off with their shields. Best regards, Dean

      Delete
  2. Wonderful stuff Dean, fantastic output.
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Stu! Kindest regards, Dean

      Delete
  3. Lovely work Dean and I dud not realise the mercenaries included guys from the Isle of Man....three legged decal fourth from the left!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Keith. Is that a motif used by the Isle of Man too? Didn't realize that. Cool. Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  4. Beautiful work, Dean! The shield decals enhance your already handsome painting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan! I'm glad I used the Battle Flag decals - much easier to place/center onto the round shields than LBMS (nice though they are). Kindest regards, Dean

      Delete
  5. They look superb Dean, I love the figure in the first pic far left, with the Eye on his sheild.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Ray! That "eye" shield on a blue background is actually one of the 4 or 5 LBMS transfers I used. Glad I did! :) Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  6. Dean, why do you have so much energy for this project??? 8)))
    As always great job

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Denis! I think it's a way to get rid of some of my "nervous" energy :) Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  7. Splendid looking hopolites! Lovely work and the shields work well!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Iain! Yes, and I was hoping that they would cover some of the lack of detailed painting I did on the figures themselves. Think they did the trick. :) Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Simon! Kindest regards, Dean

      Delete
  9. Excellent work, those decal are brilliant - they really "pop"!
    Best wishes,
    Jeremy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jeremy! I highly recommend both the Victrix Hoplites and the Battle Flag shield decals. Kindest regards, Dean

      Delete
  10. Wow, spectacular and superb hoplite units!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly, Phil! Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  11. Gorgeous, fantastic hoplite! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Javier. Appreciate the kind words. Warm regards, Dean

      Delete
  12. Awesome figures & superb paint-job Dean! Love the shield designs / decals.
    Greetings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Mario! Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  13. I’ve always used Little big men and never heard of Battle Flag. These look splendid and will check them out cause I have Greeks hiding in my cupboard.

    Cheers
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kevin. Yes, I stumbled upon them when I needed shield decals for my EIR legionaries. Their website is called "Wargame Transfers", but the decals are listed as made by "Battle Flag." Here's the link https://www.wargametransfers.com/ Best regards, Dean

      Delete
    2. You're very welcome, Kevin. Looks like they're continuing to add to their ranges. Dean

      Delete
  14. Replies
    1. Thanks, Mike! Appreciate the kind words. I'm pretty happy with these Victrix guys - they've been out for a long time, but this is the first set I've ever had. Kindest regards, Dean

      Delete
  15. A Top-notch work on these hoplites, Dean! Bravo! 👏

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, thank you, Dmitry! Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  16. Brilliant work Dean the ‘pain’ machine is working well 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, Matt! Just hate having unpainted figs lying around, I suppose. :) Best regards, Dean

      Delete
  17. Replies
    1. Thank you kindly, Sergey! Best regards, Dean

      Delete
  18. Wow! Love those hoplites and the variety of shield designs those decals give you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mahalo's, Doc! Happy to hear you like them. Aloha, Dean

      Delete
  19. Gosh, they are superb mate

    cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Matt! Kindest regards, Dean

      Delete
  20. Your hoplites look fantastic! Cheers, Karl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Karl! Warm regards, Dean

      Delete
  21. Oh wow! Those decals have made for an utterly awesome bunch of hoplites!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mike. Yes, they have a nice overall look. Kindest regards, Dean

      Delete
  22. Really glad I came accross this - Ive been wondering about Victrix and Battle flag shield transfers. I was beginning to convince myself they were the one and the same. I need both Gaullic and Norman one myself.

    ReplyDelete