Tuesday, March 30, 2021

Artizan Spartans - WIP and Musings (Long Winded)

Started on Artizan Spartans which I picked up last fall from the Panzer Depot - which sadly had to close up shop. Block painted the flesh, beard/hair, tunics (all dark red), spear shafts and scabbards so far. Need to paint the helmets, horse hair crests and spear tips/butt spikes. They size pretty closely with the Victrix Hoplites, but Artizan figures are mostly in slightly crouching poses so have a different look and probably wouldn't work well in the same unit. Quite a few wear the older Illyrian style helmet with tall crest - which again would look out of place with later style helmets which most of the Victrix guys are wearing. Ordered some lambda decals from VVV - so these guys will be Spartans in their own units anyway.

These didn't come with spears so I ended up making some out of plastic broom bristles - which are quite durable and easy to make.
I also made up some movement trays with plasticard and sprue trees from all of the Renedra bases that come with Perry plastic sets.
I initially wanted to make some for my phalanx units, but figured they could be used for Napoleonics as well (Attack Column would work nicely), at least in the initial movement phases.
To sum up, I started these projects to kill time while awaiting my Warlord Games AWI order. However, I finally got an email reply from Max at Warlord Games this morning as to why my order which was placed on 11 March, was still showing as "Unfulfilled". I found out that my PayPal payment made via Reach (which Max said they use) had been cancelled by Reach. I went ahead and cancelled the order with Max's help, and no funds were transferred. I'm wondering if it had something to do with when I placed my order. I might've mentioned this in an earlier post, but I placed my order on 11 March when the website offered free shipping for orders $80 USD or over. Mine was about $90, so the checkout showed free shipping. The very next day I got an email (sent to all subscribers) from Warlord Games announcing an increase to $150 USD for free shipping. Max over at Warlord Games said he wasn't sure why my order hadn't been processed, but was going to check with their IT folks. In any case, I don't mind cancelling the order as I can revisit AWI again later on. Probably order direct from Perry and add some metals. Anyway, quite a rambling post, but just wanted to post an update here. Thanks again for visiting and wishing you all the best.

25 comments:

  1. Very nice idea for basing! Will ues it too maybe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vladimir. I had always wanted to use movement trays for games with a lot of units - will see how it really works someday soon, I hope. Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  2. Spartans are coming along nicely and the movement trays will work a treat Dean. I think it's a good idea to order from Perry's if your going to do AWI as you will want some of the metals and Brigade games also has some nice AWI that is more near you.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Christopher. Yes, the Warlord Games order was a bit spur of the moment, so the unexpected/unintended cancellation turned out a good thing. Kindest regards, Dean

      Delete
  3. Those movement trays look like a great idea, and a really good idea for old sprues! I’m very tempted to try the bristle idea for pikes - just need to find a suitable brush 😆

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Andy! In fact, I made some movement trays for 16-man squares for my Pike & Shotte units too. Not for the Muskets/Firelocks though. Let them be able to go "Hedgehog" if needed :) Best regards, Dean

      Delete
  4. Good progress on the Greeks.
    I'm also planning on adding some movement bases for my Napoleonic collection when I get back to the UK.
    If you are planning AWI I'd likely have Perry as my go-to.
    Brigade also have a range and there stuff is always lovely: https://brigadegames.3dcartstores.com/AWI_American_War_of_Independence

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Scrivs. Yes, in fact, the figures I had ordered from Warlord were Perry plastics. I was taking advantage of their free shipping at the time (since doubled). Actually, the cost from Perry direct is about the same as costs for the figures are lower - at the time I wanted to add some heads from Warlord Sprues (grenadier fur caps). Anyway, the AWI project is on hold until these Spartans are done. :) Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  5. Fantastic work Dean !
    Awesome looking bases , I especially love your Greeks !
    Greetings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Mario. Truly appreciate your visit and kind words. Best regards, Dean

      Delete
  6. Great work, Dean! And the bases are great too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words, Sergey. Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  7. Very nice indeed Dean. I think the timing and outcome of your AWI order are a bit suspicious....I certainly won't be buying anything from Warlord with their new postage policy, when others still continue to offer free postage over a certain value! It's a sign of their increasing market dominance that they think they can get away with it that annoys me most...same as not deducting VAT when selling outside the UK....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the great comment, Keith. I think postage is hitting a lot of companies hard. I think I'll have to place an order with Perry soon. Kindest regards, Dean

      Delete
  8. Good recycling with the movement trays and great work with those Spartans. I admire your speed of work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Javier! Finally getting some use out of those plastic bases (at least the sprues). Best regards, Dean

      Delete
  9. This is... wait for it... "SPARTA!" or also known as "DEAN LAND!"

    Man I read what your doing and I feel like I am falling down that well the Persian gets kicked down in the 300, you are a busy bee.

    Cheers
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kevin! I was thinking of an alternate post title of, "Revenge of the Tri Lambs" :) Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  10. More goodness. I really like the idea of using the base sprue for edging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, Norm. I saw tutorials on using sprues before, but this was the first time I tried it. It was due to my local hobby arts & crafts store not having the size of plastic edging I wanted. Figured, what the heck try out the tons of sprues I have from Perry kits. Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  11. Nice work Dean, love the Spartans, remember you don’t need too many though ! I too have a lot of ‘brush’ spears which I find very effective. Have you found a way to get a point ? Which is the only tricky bit. Annoying the warlord mistake. I didn’t want to mention it before but I think you’ll find the Perry range much better especially when mixed with foundry. 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the great comment, Matt. I wasn't completely happy with the way the spear tips came out, but since I was doing 64 of them, just went ahead with them. The points are more angular and not of the leaf shape which would be more historically correct. Figured, en masse, it'll do. The funny thing with the Warlord order was that I was ordering boxes of Perry figures - and had added some Warlord sprues - mainly for the headgear (fur caps and light infantry caps). Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  12. Plastic broom bristles as spears ... now I have seen everything :)

    ReplyDelete