Sunday, December 27, 2020

Warlord Games French Line Infantry

Hope you all had a great Christmas and enjoying the last few days of the year. Had few days off for the holidays and managed to paint up a box of French Line. Just had to have at least one French unit in full gaiters. Admittedly, the black undercoat process whilst leaving bits of it for "black lining" can appear a bit harsh to the eyes, and not to everyone's tastes, but it's a quick way to paint up Napoleonics, IMO.

I did have some Old Glory 2nd Ed. in full gaiters before, but sold them off a few years ago. I actually like these a lot better as I'm a fan of plastics, and they size up better with Victrix and Perry.
The tri-color is a spare from the Legere set. The ones that come with this Line set are the older style "lozenge" colors. So, if you look closely you'll see "Legere" lettering.
The set comes with 4 metal command figures, including two officers. I swapped out one of them for a spare private. The other officer pose seemed a bit too animated and didn't match the marching poses of the rest of the figures.
The metal eagle and "ribbons" that come with the French infantry sets are a nice touch.
The ammo pouches come with nicely sculpted details: crowned "N" for Fusiliers, grenades for Grenadiers and hunting horns for Voltigeurs. The set comes with only 5 "elite" figures (with epaulettes and two cross belts) and needed 8, so I converted 3 Fusilier figures by adding Green Stuff for epaulettes and cross belts. Otherwise, an overall great set if you like your French infantry in full-dress.

This will be my last project for 2020 and will post an end of year wrap up for my next post which I haven't done in the past, but this has been an unusual year and I managed to complete quite a few projects. Until next time, wishing you all good health and happy hobbying!

40 comments:

  1. Your Frenchmen are tres bon, Dean! You produce brilliant work every single time.

    Happy Holidays to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly, Jonathan. Warmest regards and wishing you a great 2021! Dean

      Delete
  2. Lovely work as always Dean - I must say, I do really like the 1808-1812 full dress uniform with shako cords and plumes etc, even if they probably never wore all that into battle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, Ross! Yes, agreed - however, all the nice illustrations make it a must have. :) Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Michal! Kindest regards, Dean

      Delete
  4. Beautiful as always and I am feeling slightly sick......not just from Christmas over indulgence but you ability to turn out a unit like this in a matter of days . I wish I have some AWI grenadiers which need some urgent attention !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Matt! With the current "staycation" order, I am never far from the paint table. :) Warm regards, Dean

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Ray! Wishing you a great 2021! Dean

      Delete
  6. The unit looks amazing! Emperor would be very proud ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly, Bartek! I hope he might sit up on his horse a few inches taller :) Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Phil! Wishing you a great 2021! Dean

      Delete
  8. Those turned out wonderfully. Nice work, Dean!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brave soldiers of the Emperor! Vive la France!
    8)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Denis! Best wishes for 2021! Dean

      Delete
  10. Not a my era, but soldiers are pretty nice painted and good looking - as always! All of the best in 2021!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words! God bless and wishing you a great new year!

      Delete
  11. It's always fun to look at Nappy stuff as it's so colorful, and you've done a fine job capturing the French glory.

    Cheers
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, Kevin. It's kind of addicting, this Napoleonic stuff. I just love the look of uniformed troops, particularly this period. Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  12. Dean,
    Nothing like looking at a great Napoleonic battalion!
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, Neil! Appreciate your kind words. Warmest regards,Dean

      Delete
  13. Splendid unit Dean! Personally I prefer the black undercoat method but agree that it’s not for everyone’s taste.
    Best wishes for the new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mike! Yes, my first attempts at painting Napoleonics (as well as other 28mm figures) were pretty much the way I had painted larger figures - that is, dark shading to the base color. I find this black undercoat is quicker and looks okay at arms length on the gaming table. Kindest regards and Happy New Year! Dean

      Delete
  14. Great work Dean, I really like what you did with these.
    My old eyes cannot handle black undercoat on 28mm figures anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, Scrivs! Appreciate the kind words. Warm regards, Dean

      Delete
  15. Uhh! These are a bit nice actually. Naps are definitely not my period but looking at your troops here I can certainly see the appeal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, Nick! Appreciate the kind words. Yes, a bit of a slippery slope, Napoleonics are. I really hadn't touched the period since the beginning of the year - working on the Victrix figures my buddy gave me got me started again - in fact, I placed an "Army Deal" order of Russians from Perry! Best wishes for the New Year! Dean

      Delete
  16. Now that is a very handsome French Ligne outfit... even if they are carrying the very simple 1815 pattern of colors (and for a Leger unit at that.. but aside from in a photo, no one will ever notice that detail anyway).

    It seems odd to me that they should not have the correct ratio of elites to Fusiliers in their sets, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Peter. It's likely how they patterned the sprue. Only one elite per each of the five identical sprues. Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  17. Lovely looking French line! I really like this set and wish I'd got more of them than the victrix set for this period which is a nightmare to put together! I noticed about the absence of the elite figures, I just used a line body and put him in the back rank and hoped no one noticed!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Iain. I think the Perry set of early French are also good - may have to get a set someday. Kindest regards, Dean

      Delete
  18. Howzit Dean - I like your French and there's nothing wrong with using a shortcut technique to paint - particularly with the result someone with your skills is able to achieve. It has been a crazy year so all the best for a safe and prosperous 2021!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mahalo and Aloha, Doc! Yes, stay safe and healthy in the new year! Aloha, Dean

      Delete
  19. Absolutely wonderful to my eyes Dean. It seems that I am not alone in thinking that!
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete