Thursday, August 22, 2013

WHFB Marienburg Handgunners - WIP

These are the guys I picked up at the going-on-of business sale last week - 50% off remaining GW stock. Most of the good stuff was already gone, but thought I'd use some of these handgunners to crew the Airship. They are painted in Marienburg colors - which is similar to the current Vatican Guard colors; yellow, blue and red. Here they are below after a fresh wash of Minwax Tudor Satin stain. I still have about a quarter of a can left - once it's gone, I think I'll switch to Future Floor Wax "magic wash."
The block painting only took a couple of hours as I only used the base colors over a white undercoat. Colors used were Flat Flesh, Flat Yellow, Blue and Red for the uniforms; Saddle Brown for the gun stock, leather accouterments, hair and shoes; and Silver and Gold for the metal parts. I did use black as an undercoat for the silver and gold areas too. I used the larger brush for all of the painting except for the stripes on the Marksman with the Hochland Long Rifle - the smaller brush was used for that. BTW, the cleaner-looking bottles of Vallejo were also picked up for 50% off at the sale.
It's funny that just last week I thought I wanted to paint more Empire stuff, but I'm now feeling the urge to paint up Space Marine stuff. I felt obligated to paint these handgunners up before moving on. Oh, I almost forgot to mention some of the heads are from the Pistolier/Outrider and Demigryph kits.

11 comments:

  1. Must admit I am guilty of following the muse... often leaving bits from other projects uncompleted for months!

    Nice work BTW, that's one hell of a sniper rifle! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Scott. Another reason I wanted the kit was for the Powder Monkey - yet to be painted. I plan to place him on the Airship too. Best, Dean

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much for being over Warhammer Fanstasy already! Your army continues to grow as do your hobby admirers. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work again Dean. They will make fitting additions to the airship.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the palette you chose for these. Cracking bit of work here.

    I've got a shelf of shame myself filled with half painted mini's. One day I will finish them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some bargains there and nicely done too - top job Dean.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all for the interests and kind comments. Warm Regards, Dean

    ReplyDelete
  8. Always had a soft spot for Marienburg. I think it goes back to a WD series on the city for the WHFRP game ages ago.

    FMB

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looking good but also looking forward to more Marine goodies!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Gents, for the nice words.

    @ FMB - yes, the colors are very catchy, but not over the top.

    @ Fran - me too! Especially since a Techmarine can be in red - good contrast to the rest of the boys in baby blue :)

    Best, Dean

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great work as always Dean .
    Greetings .

    ReplyDelete