Friday, June 10, 2022

Still Around - Wargames Atlantic Tirailleurs And Other Stuff

Just a little post to show that I haven't left the planet yet. I'd like to say I was busy with work or something silly like that, but honestly I've just been a bit lazy. Probably something to do with taking a break after the convention a few weeks ago. I did, however, start on a project that's been in the back of my mind for awhile - at least since seeing the Perrys' Egyptian Campaign French in Kleber uniform. Those and always wanting to paint up some Janissaries. I had ordered some of those Perry figures and some Assault Group Ottomans before the convention and they arrived right around the time of the convention. Started painting up some of the French in various demi-brigade uniform colors. Before getting too far along with them I foolishly sent a shout out to some of my gaming buddies for a Western Desert Campaign Bolt Action game in a couple of weeks. Whilst doing a headcount of troops, it was discovered that the Axis troops outnumbered the British-Free French forces after painting up those Italian troops. Luckily I was able to pick up a another box of Wargames Atlantic French from my buddy yesterday and painted up a squad of Tirailleurs today. Here's a shot of them with the Minwax stain still wet - the Egyptian Campaign figures in the background.

Again, just a quick post to keep the blog in existence and let you know that I'm still in the game. Until next time, wishing you all the best and thanks for stopping by.

23 comments:

  1. Tirailleurs look great. What’s this Ottoman stuff your talking about, time period wise?

    Cheers
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the visit and comments, Kevin! Yeah, the Ottomans are from TAG's Renaissance range, but I plan to use them against French in their Egyptian/Syrian Campaign 1798-1801. Plan to use Rebels and Patriots - small unit skirmish. Nothing big. Warm regards, Dean

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, Michal! Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  3. Another new project? Excellent! Tirailleurs are looking fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jonathan.Yes, I've been wanting to paint up some of those French in Kleber reg uniforms - as well as Janissaries. We'll see how it goes. Kind regards, Dean

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Alexey! Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  5. Good looking Tirailleurs! Lots of promise in background!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, Joe! Yes, a project I'm keen on. Warm regards, Dean

      Delete
  6. Super looking tirailleurs Dean. I must make a note to try the Minwax.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Richard. If you do try it out, use a fairly large headed brush with soft bristles - and also keep a jar of thinner handy to dab out blobs and pooled areas. Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the advice Dean. I was going to ask what shade you use, but I saw your reply below.

      Delete
    3. Richard - this is the can I use. Make sure you get the polyurethane version, not the oil based one. https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=Awr9IlEz3aRiT9AArlZXNyoA;_ylu=Y29sbwNncTEEcG9zAzEEdnRpZAMEc2VjA3BpdnM-?p=minwax+tudor+satin&fr2=piv-web&type=E211US885G0&fr=mcafee#id=11&iurl=https%3A%2F%2Fimages.hdsupplysolutions.com%2Fimage%2Fupload%2Fd_no_image.gif%2Cf_auto%2Cfl_lossy%2Ch_350%2Cq_auto%2Cw_350%2F298991_WebOnly_Lg.jpg&action=click

      Delete
  7. Seems like a couple of appropriate projects as the weather heats up ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly, Markus. Yes, the warmer weather (still not here yet in the Puget Sound area), should give the project that much more flavor. Warm regards, Dean

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thanks, Ray! Your Haitian projects have inspired me to get more "tropical" :) Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  9. Those Tirailleurs look great Dean. I should ask - what exactly is Mini Wax - is it a model/hobby product or something else? I am thinking the latter based on a vague recollection of something Mr Freitag wrote about it recently......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Keith. Minwax is a poly-acrylic stain used primarily for wood; however, it was discovered (by other miniature painters) to be a great stain to use on figures. The particular shade that works the best is called "Tudor Satin". Available here in the US at select hardware stores. I've only found this shade in a local store called Ace Hardware. It is also available online through Amazon, I think. If you ever use it, be sure to get the acrylic based one, not the oil based one. The oil based one will never really dry completely. Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the reply Dean!

      Delete
  10. Great looking colonial troops and I'm looking forward to the Ottomans, always fancied doing them, of course I'd have to do Polish Commonwealth then......!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, Iain. Yes, I'm now thinking I might be able to use them against some of the ECW figures in some kind of border war - maybe. Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete