Saturday, February 5, 2022

ECW Scots Covenanters Pike and Shot Unit - Warlord Games and Perry Figures

Finished the last pike and shot unit - a second Scots Covenanters unit with a mix of mostly Warlord Games plastics and a few Perry metals. Half of the pikemen and the command are Perrys. The two makers mix well - although I did try to raise the Perrys a bit during basing. The metals figures' bases are thinner than the plastic ones.

There are now a total of 16 Pike and Shotte units (4 were painted in 2020). These along with the cavalry units should be more than enough units for the usual 8 x 6' table playing area I have.
I'm also thinking of forming the musketeers in 3 stands per side when formed next to pikes. Not ideal, but a compromise as it takes up less frontage and also they were formed more in blocks historically; at least from period illustrations. Have them in 3 ranks with a 4 man front would looks best, but then it would be problematic when trying to form into hedgehog formation. Also, keeping them 4 per 40mm square allows them to be used as commanded shot more easily, I think.
We'll see how the formations will work best once I finally get a game or two in. This should be soon, as I only have the dragoons (both foot and mounted) to work on. I do want to have dragoons included in the inaugural game as they should add some flavor to it.
So much for now - thanks again for stopping by and wishing you all the best!

20 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Michal! Kind regards, Dean

      Delete
  2. A fantastic group of Covenanters Dean, our group has always struggled/debated the best formation to represent pile and shot warfare....good luck with finding a solution you are happy with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Keith. I think the muskets look good as a block, but for ease of changing their formation will ho with the 3 stands oer wing. I suppose 4 stands per wing would be great, but that would entail painting a lot more figures. Kindest regards, Dean

      Delete
  3. A grand looking Covenanter unit. The color palette really works for me! Get those units on the table, even if only a review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, Joe. I think I will have a roll call of units soon too. Kindest regards,

      Delete
  4. Great Scots, Dean! their blue berets should strike terror into the enemies!8))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Denis. Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words, Phil. Warm regards, Dean

      Delete
  6. Great looking Covenanters, I think I'll stick on my shot formation, if only because there would be a lot of retro fitting!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Iain. Understood. I won't be doing any rebasing either. Kindest regards, Dean

      Delete
  7. I've found even Warlord's EI Romans fit scale wise with Perry's Foundry Romans which are 25mm not the 28mm that Warlord markets them as. I think Warlord really screwed up when they made that plastic kit. They could have been so much better at a real 28mm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Their Celts are much closer to 28mm; particularly with their exaggerated poses. Kindest regards, Dean

      Delete
  8. As always ... I love the colors and the details on show here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words again, Kuan. Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  9. Just as the others I like to say that these are wonderfull and colorfull painted pike and shot figures! I like them a lot!

    Greetings
    Peter

    ReplyDelete