Saturday, March 24, 2018

Lion/Dragon Rampant Tournament Game Day at Gig Harbor

Just got back from playing three games of Lion Rampant at a tournament hosted by Pat L. (aka Socal Warhammer). As mentioned in the previous post this was a cleverly designed format with five total games, the first two being Lion Rampant, the third being the players' choice of either Lion or Dragon Rampant, and the final two being Dragon Rampant. This allowed the player to have three (or five) total games to count for the results. I chose to stick with Lion Rampant for the first three games as I knew I would not be playing the last two games of Dragon Rampant. I ended up tied for second place with my first two games being ties and winning my third game - each game having 2 Glory points. I used the Boast of killing more using my bows than with spears. Not too difficult as four of my five units were bow armed. I left after the third game and the remaining folks are probably finishing up their last game about now. As usual, I took a lot of pictures, but over half of them were too blurry.
Bruce M.'s "Ever Victorious" Samurai retinue. For the record, Bruce is the owner/proprietor of Company B.
From my first game against David S.'s (I Live with Cats) El Cid retinue. My unit of archers stupidly failing to take the high ground before David's cavalry got into Attack range.
I managed to get my archers on top of the hill to accept the Attack so I could at least get a +1 to my Armour in the first round. Would've been smarter to have fired on the cavalry prior to their Attack though.
My Ferocious Foot monks taking on some Spanish foot.
My second game against Bryan S.'s all-cavalry unit - most with missiles. I managed to roll 7's for Leadership skill in my last two games; giving me the Commanding trait which allowed one re-roll per turn for a failed activation of units within 12" of the leader - as well as the leader's unit.
A Dragon Rampant game in the third round.
My third and last game against Scott A.'s 13th C. retinue of two Mounted MAA units, two Foot Serjeants and one unit of Crossbows. I luckily was able to kill off half of his retinue for the win.
Most of the standings at the end of game three. The scoring was calculated by wins/losses/ties and the amount of Glory points achieved (or lost). As you can see, Bruce not only won all three of his Lion Rampant games, but also won an incredible amount of Glory points. I should note,
the reason there were so many ties is that we had an hour and a half for each game and if a clear victory wasn't achieved (i.e. killed off over half of the enemy, etc.) it was declared a tie. Players also had to choose between 1 and 3 Boasts, each with up to 3 Glory points each. Boasts not achieved had those Glory points subtracted from the score.
Another Dragon Rampant game during the third round with Bryan S.'s Penguin warband.
Yet another third round Dragon Rampant game. Although I did want to use my recently painted Oni in a Dragon Rampant game, I didn't want to stay for the last two games. Maybe they'll get on the table in the near future.
Well it was another great event with a good bunch of gamer buds using a fun set of rules. Thanks for stopping by and best wishes to all.

21 comments:


  1. An interesting tournament. Thanks for the report.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's sounded like a fun day Dean. Thanks for sharing the scoring as well, useful for future tournie consideration.
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stu. I should've included in the post that the reason there were so many ties is that we had an hour and a half for each game and if a clear victory wasn't achieved (i.e. killed off over half of the enemy, etc.) it was declared a tie. Players also had to choose between 1 and 3 Boasts, each with up to 3 Glory points each. Regards, Dean

      Delete
  3. Unusual, intense and splendid!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly, Phil! It was nice throwing dice around with a great bunch of gamers. Best regards, Dean

      Delete
  4. Looks like a cracking day out Dean, the penguin unit made me chuckle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! I thought you'd like the Penguin Warband. Besides the walrus, there's also a Killer Whale breaking the surface. Warm regards, Dean

      Delete
  5. Excellent games! Thanks for the report 8)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure my friend. Happy to hear you enjoyed seeing it. I wish I had taken more pictures of all the games. Best, Dean

      Delete
  6. Good read, and some nice armies. I like going to the round bases and using the 3-2-1 system. Thats how I am going to do mine. I’ve always preferred round bases, so I guess that doesn’t make me a square:-O

    Cheers
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kevin. Yes, moving around 12 figures was a chore! I actually have a few Litko 6-figure skirmish trays - but decided not to use them. Next time! Best, Dean

      Delete
  7. Great write-up, and I heard you won best painted LR army - congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Greg! Oh, I hadn't heard that - I left before the last two games were played. Hmm, interesting! Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  8. Nice tournament. Killer giant Penguins!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Simon. The Penguin warband is a tough one too. Warm regards, Dean

      Delete
  9. Looked like a great time. Your army looks outstanding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Jake. I was pleasantly surprised at how well they performed overall. The shooty aspect of the retinue suits my playing "style" pretty well. That is, I don't like getting into melee. Best regards, Dean

      Delete
  10. Looks like a good fun day and nice looking armies!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Iain. It certainly was a day of fun gaming with better than expected results for me. I felt like my overall dice rolls were no worse than my opponents. BTW, most of us will be getting into Pikemen's Lament. Looking forward to building a company. Warm regards, Dean

      Delete
  11. Thank for your very good article! i always enjoy & read the post you are sharing!

    หนังออนไลน์

    ReplyDelete