Sunday, May 13, 2012

Redoubt Dendra Dudes

Well, these six have been sitting around for awhile; I ordered them from Miniature Service Center when they were clearing out their stock of Redoubt several years ago. I had intended to use them as chariot warriors, and may still do, but for now they are palace guards. I replaced their lead spear shafts with brass rod - sturdier for gaming. I also carved off their shield strap and Green Stuff'd the left pauldron where the strap had been. Painting was straight-forward as I decided to give them uniform colors - they were then given a Minwax Tudor Satin stain. The bronze is a mixture of Vallejo Bronze & Copper (about 50:50) some gold and silver added as highlights before the stain.
Here they around the hearth protecting the king and his ladies.
And halting an uninvited Herakles and friends at the door.
Now cornering Medusa - they soon turned to stone.
Happy Mother's Day. I need to call my brother later today in Hawaii, my 80 year old mom had flu-like symptoms and was taken to the hospital late night their time.

17 comments:

  1. Nice miniatures and, once again, stunning painting by you Dean!

    cheers,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Phil. Appreciate your kind comment! Best, Dean

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the figures, the Dendra panoply has always been an iconic favourite of mine.

    Cheers,
    Ross

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful work Dean, great painting on these.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job on the spearman and palace walls Dean.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice Dean! Love the palace.

    Simon

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks again, Gents.

    I do love this period - the whole Iliad thing and all. Best, Dean

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful figures Dean!!!! Hope everything's ok with your Mum.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Ray. An update from my brother says she has pneumonia - not good at her age, but she's a tough one, so I'm hopeful. Best, Dean

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely work on these guys Dean. Pneumonia is horrible, I had it last year, not nice at all. Hope your Mum feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, Roger; appreciate your comment and thoughts. Best, Dean

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't know why Medusa always gets to kick ass...she always gets her head chopped off! Well less than 2 weeks until Enfilade 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope your mom is doing better now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks, Ted. We spoke to her a couple days ago - she's at home now and resting and recovering. She is a tough woman. Best, Dean

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great painting!! They are some of my fovourite miniatures. I should do the same that you are doing with Redoubt spears. I have got several of them painted with the original ones but I´m always scare of damage them.

    Regards.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Andres:

    It's not hard - a bit tedious if you're doing a lot maybe - but I just cut off the spearheads and then carefully drilled them out to accept the brass rods - much sturdier and no worries gaming. Best, Dean

    ReplyDelete