Saturday, April 13, 2024

Chain of Command - Philippines, Late-1944

Played another Chain of Command game ttoday at my buddy's place. The scenario was Late-War, Philippines, with US forces advancing inland against Japanese forces holding out. There were five players, and a GM, my buddy who hosted the game. Except for myself, all of the others were experienced to varying degrees with the rules. I have to admit I'm even getting some of the basic rules down too, having been playing the rules off and on for several years now. Of course, playing with folks very familiar with the rules is plus. For today's game, I ran a platoon of Japanese - one squad having four knee mortars - not bad to have in the woods with a spotter. The game ended after my fellow-Japanese player's platoon was knocked out of the game and it was called a US victory. I still had most of my platoon and had done well against a few US squads that were out in the open. My 37mm antitank gun also did well in slowing the advance of a platoon of Sherman tanks.

My buddy's tables are always filled with excellent terrain.
The infamous "Patrol Phase" - setting up Jump Off Points. Quite unique with the rules.
Capturing the hootch near the flag was a victory condition for the US troops, but the game ended when half of the Japanese force was destroyed.
Part of the Japanese platoon I ran, deep in the woods.
The Japanese end of the table.
The 37mm anti-tank gun that did well against the lead Sherman tank early in the game. It became the target of multiple US units, including two Shermans in retribution. It survived the game but if it gained one more Shock it would've been destroyed.
The US squad out in the open was one of two that were getting the worst of the Japanese knee mortars.
My two-man antitank team with bamboo poles failed to make it to the Sherman before the game ended.
One of my buddies just got back from visiting his in-laws in Japan and brought me back some cookies from a museum - the cookies had different military markings on them.
They could probably have been used as gaming aids, like Jumping Off Points, but we ate them instead.
The host lives about 5 minutes away from my place, and has a great view of Puget Sound and the Olympic Mountain Range from his front yard.
When I got home, my Litko order, as well as the Mongol shields for the Ming Swordsmen were in the mail box. Not a bad way to spend a Saturday. Thanks again for stopping by and wishing you all the best.

8 comments:

  1. Oh, beautiful terrain!
    Playing on such a table is immediately 100% better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michal. Yes, my buddy's table is usually crammed with terrain. For these rules, you can only see enemy up to 12" away in the woods. Best regards, Dean

      Delete
  2. Great game, certainly a good day made better with cookies. And new toys at the end. Priceless, as they say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Joe. Yes, from gaming to the painting table is not a bad thing. Best regards, Dean

      Delete
  3. Dean, looks like a great day.
    It would have been fun to use the cookies as markers - "what happened to my hidden AT gun?" "Sorry, I ate it! " ☺
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Neil. I wish I could've gotten the AT gun in cover. I kept blowing movement rolls - basically an inch here and an inch there. It did well in the beginning though - slowed down the Sherman platoon's advance a bit. Best regards, Dean

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Ray! Best regards, Dean

      Delete