Monday, April 17, 2023

Bandai 1/48th Hetzer and Panzer II's

Here's the first round of kits donated to me by my buddy last month. I had wanted to start on the Sherman, but discovered it had two hull sprues but missing the turret. Need to ask my buddy if he has it as he said thought he had more kits stashed away somewhere. Anyway, getting a lot more comfortable using the airbrush. I have a process down now - using a jar of water to rinse out the paint cup between colors, and only doing a full cleaning when done.

The crewmen in the dunkelgrau Panzer and the Hetzer are from the Bandai kits; the DAK crewman is from a Perry metal set.
The DAK Panzer will be used in a Bolt Action game I'm hosting next month at Enfilade. I wanted another tank to assist in the assault by the Axis forces. The grey Panzer may be a reason to build an Early-War German force.
As with the previous Tiger kits, used an oil based wash for pin lining and detailing.
The exhausts still need some weathering.
Although old, these kits are still very nice and go together nicely.

On another note, I'm retiring at the end of this month. It'll be my second retirement (retired from the Army in 2008), but won't be able collect from the state until I turn 65 since I only have 15 years. My wife is a great comptroller so we should be good until then. Thanks again for checking out the blog - and I should be doing more gaming once retired, for good.

12 comments:

  1. Great looking tanks and crew Dean!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, Mike! Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you very much again, Michal. Kindest regards, Dean

      Delete
  3. I have to say it's a lot easier on an older painters eyes to paint the larger scale stuff... old man;)

    Looking good Dean, congrats on second retirement. I am still on my first, but I don't think I'll retire from being a Crossing Guard just yet, still having way to much fun chatting it up and telling jokes to the little ones.

    Cheers
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words, Kevin. Appreciate the well wishes. Warm regards, Dean

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you very much for the kind words, Richard. Warm regards, Dean

      Delete
  5. 3 great looking tanks Dean. Good luck with the retirement!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Ray! Looking forward to even more free time. Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  6. Very nice work Dean and congratulations on your second (and final?!) retirement! Do you already get an army pension of some kind? I know people used to get pretty generous military pensions although I think some of that has been watered down. UK servicemen who did 15 or 20 years used to get a huge severance payment too, like GBP six figures as a lump sum payment when they were discharged......bet that's gone now too 😞

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words, Keith. I do have a decent military retirement (28 years active service), and some veterans disability as well. So, financially okay. Having teleworked these past few years (thanks to the pandemic) really helped out too. Kindest regards, Dean

      Delete