Sunday, February 26, 2023

Relic Mycenaeans And A Rubicon Montgomery

Here are the 6 sample Relic Miniatures Mycenaeans sent to me by Mike Evans. They are temp based as I plan to give them to a buddy so he can base them to his liking. I misplaced the spears that were sent to me so these are just various ones I had on hand. The Rubicon Montgomery will be used as the senior officer for Western Desert Bolt Action games.

The Relic figures are nicely sculpted but smaller than the Redoubt and Foundry figures I already have.
The helmets are based upon what can be seen in period artwork - frescoes, ivory carvings, etc. The cuirasses are similar to the bell-cuirass style of the Archaic period. Some appear to have throat armor like that seen on the Dendra cuirass. The kilts are also accurate from period artwork. I painted the greaves as bronze ones. Small bronze greaves have been found but they may have been worn over cloth/linen greaves.
As mentioned in the previous post, the shields look good, and the figure-8 one is particularly nice.
Below is a comparison with a Redoubt figures. The Relic figure is noticeably smaller overall. Relic figures are on the smaller/slender size of most 28mm figures.
And a comparison between the Rubicon Montgomery and a Warlord Games Rommel. The are close enough after raising the base with some Green Stuff for the Rubicon figure. The Rubicon figures is sculpted like the Relic ones. Some would argue more realistically proportioned. I mean look at the size of Rommel's head! :)
I've gotten to the point of being quite the lazy painter. That is, my preferred method is block painting followed by a wash - usually with Minwax. After this, details and highlights can be added - or not. In any case, thanks for stopping by and seeing my latest projects.

18 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, Christopher! Thanks for visiting and the nice comment. Kind regards, Dean

      Delete
  2. Redoubt figures tend to be very large in my experience. The Relic figures look very good. Most of my figures are block painted, followed by magic wash. I use limited shading beyond that, mostly big plumes, some cloaks, and the crests on helmets, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like we have very similar painting methods, Peter. I also find figures that are on the larger side of 28mm are easier and more enjoyable to paint. Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words again, Michal! Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  4. Nicely done, Dean. And the block paint and wash method is - far from a sign of laziness - one of the marvels of the age!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the visit and approval, Aaron! Kind regards, Dean

      Delete
  5. Excellent paint work Dean. Nothing lazy about your method. It's efficient and produces lovely results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Richard. Warm regards, Dean

      Delete
  6. Nicely done Dean….lazy but very effective and productive painting I would say 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, Matt. It's sort of a less is more approach. :) Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  7. I like Monty, but the Rommel figure I like better because the face to me gives it more character. Nicely painted sir!

    Cheers
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kevin. I agree with the two figures. The Rubicon figure is similar to 1/48th plastic figures like Tamiya. That is more realistically proportioned, but not necessarily more detailed like wargaming figures. Kindest regards, Dean

      Delete
  8. With so many miniatures to paint, I don't blame you for wanting to be a "lazy painter" though it must be said the results still look fantastic imho :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for your kind words and visit, Kuan! Kindest regards, Dean

      Delete
  9. Excellent looking Myceneans and Monty!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete