Friday, October 21, 2022

Black Seas - Battle of Trafalgar Anniversary

My buddy and his son hosted a great Black Seas game today. Not a large game, but a nice one for myself and and another buddy playing the rules for the first time. The ships looked great and some of them painted and rigging put on just prior to the game - we only used about half of their ships. I ran half of the French fleet and managed to survive with one remaining ship of the line. My frigate and other ship of the line were damaged to the point of being floating wrecks. This was my first time playing the rules, and really enjoyed it. Although I have to admit I relied on their calculations for combat resolution and damage. It's great when someone else is GMing. Finally, I must apologize for being off the blog for so long - but have been keeping busy with my other hobby pursuit of playing and collecting guitars. I ended up picking up a few used guitars needing some TLC and also a couple of ebay purchases. Thanks to YouTube I was able to level frets, smooth fret ends, adjust truss rods, replace bolt on necks, solder pickguard covers and other interesting luthier stuff.









Again, apologies for neglecting visiting your blogs and being away for so long. Here's a picture below of what has kept me away.
Thanks for stopping by and allowing me to indulge a bit - best wishes to you all!

19 comments:

  1. Thanks for the Trafalgar anniversary reminder. Game looks great as does your growing collection of guitars. Many of the guitars I recognize. The dog, I do not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jonathan! It was nice gaming again, especially on a significant historical anniversary. Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  2. I always like the look of sailing ship games but I am not so keen on playing them, to be honest, Dean! You obviously have very large dose of "collectors" gene....toy soldiers, firearms and now guitars too! Sounds like you are quite a handyman, too, with all the repair work you have been doing with the guitar collection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot for the visit and kind words again, Keith. I'm not a big naval gamer too, and end up playing it like a land battle. The additional element of wind direction affected movement significantly. And yes, I've always been a collector of things. Collected stamps, coins and even sea shells when I was growing up. Kindest regards, Dean

      Delete
  3. Fantastic Black Seas game Dean! Nice looking guitars too -Strats, Jaguar and Les Pauls?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot for your kind words and visit, Mike! The Strats and Mustang are Squiers (a lot cheaper than Fender-propers), and the Les Pauls are actually inexpensive Chipson (Chinese) copies, that look good, but not as high quality as the real deal. More than good enough for my skill level or lack thereof. Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks, Michal! Yes, it was a pleasure learning a bit of these rules with such beautiful ships. Kind regards, Dean

      Delete
  5. Looks great, beautiful ships...and guitars!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, Phil! Yes, great gaming and I also get to play around on guitars when I get home :) Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  6. Great looking game and collection of guitars. I always enjoy playing age of sail naval actions but have never wanted to collect them. It must be the thought of doing the rigging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Richard! Yes, I loved seeing the those beautifully painted and rigged 1/700 scale ships. But...the first thing I thought was I would never be able to rig them. The addition of wind for the sails really made movement crucial for tactics. My previous naval games were mostly oar-driven galleys, so not too much concern with wind direction. This was eye-opening. Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  7. Very nice; I have three or four sets of Naval rules to try out. Ships are no problem; plenty of them on hand already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Peter. These aren't too bad - again, my buddy who ran the game really made it flow. He had added a bit of bells and whistles too, as he had played it with his son several times before. Kindest regards, Dean

      Delete
  8. Nice looking game Dean I have pondered those ships many times but never jumped in….yet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Matt. I've only done Ancients naval before - much easier movement when using only oars! :) Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  9. Great minis on show ... and a cool looking guitar collection too. All I have is an electric guitar and an acoustic one which I never really played much because I stopped lessons and rarely have the time to play ... it's a continuing regret of mine ... one day I will ... one day

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely looking naval game and nice selection of guitars, my only retail experience was selling guitars at a convention/ exhibition, I was useless!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete