Friday, February 3, 2012

Warlord Roman Legionaries - WIP +1

Just about done with this unit; only need to finish the 3-man command group and movement tray. Initially, I was going to go with a 32-man unit (4 ranks of 8), but decided to go with a 30-man unit (3 ranks of 10). I had added two more figures to up it to 32, but now I'll likely add a Light Bolt Thrower and have them crewed with the extra two figures - almost the same cost for two Seasoned Legionaries - using the new WAB Armies of Ancients lists for EIR.
BTW, I was hoping to achieve a more muted red for the tunics after staining. It's kind of a brighter red than I had wanted, but the shields and close-order ranking should minimize the effect.





9 comments:

  1. Wow Dean, they look great with less work than normal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice unit, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent work Dean. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great looking unit Dean. Not a bunch you would want to upset in a bar!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks again, Gentlemen - for the kind comments. Hope to have the command done with the unit properly based soon. Today, heading out for a WAB game and club meeting. BTW, I envision this unit to be akin to the Immortals - 30-man unit, fighting in 2 ranks with heavy throwing spears. Best, Dean

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dean, nice work! I have one question though, the round bases? I mounted mine on 20mm square bases as they are close order infantry. Just curious...

    Cheers

    Eric

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eric:

    The metal washers are 3/4" - 20mm, so they will still be in close-order. I just want the ability to turn them this way and that when ranking them up. Some of the poses (especially the guys launching he pila)are a bit animated. Also, I like the added weight to the plastics. Best, Dean

    ReplyDelete
  8. Painting reflects the high level, keep up the good man.

    ReplyDelete