Sunday, February 5, 2012

Warlord EIR Legionaries - Completed

Finished the box of these guys - still need to make the movement tray for this unit. I'm curious to see how they'll perform with such a wide frontage of 10 figures. Their ability to fight in two-ranks with heavy throwing spears (pila) is too much of a temptation for me not to try out - at least once.
The unit will be classed as Seasoned (per the new Armies of Antiquities EIR list). For a 2,000 point EIR early army, they will be fielded along with two slightly smaller Elite Legionary units, a small unit of Elite archers, the General (Maximus Overdrivus), and a Light Bolt Thrower. Until I get a Warlord model for the bolt thrower, I'll use a 1st Corps Oxybeles I already have painted. The two crew are spare Warlord figures with their weapons removed.
Based - 21 Attacks (the Optios should get additional attacks too :)!); Strength 4 hits during first round of Combat!
Here is the army so far - two units of Elite Legionaries and the just completed Seasoned Legionaries; and one Light Bolt Thrower. Waiting on the arrival of the General and unit of Elite Eastern Archers. This will take the army to 2,000 points. Eventually some Warlord Praetorian cav and Auxiliaries will join the army.

16 comments:

  1. Very nice!! I like Warlord Romans!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Einar; I love them too. They're inexpensive, nicely sculpted and paint up quickly. Best, Dean

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good work Dean. They are a bit on the small side, but are still fun to work on.

    My army was around 3000 pts on the WAB list, not sure on the AoA list. I'm thinking Middel Imperial. Prior to AoA I really did not care about the 10 wide or 5 wide, with them being drilled does not make much difference to me as I could expand to what I thought was a good frontage for the army being battled against. I would even deploy sometimes a small unit or two in march column, since I did not use any cav.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I say they look wonderful; the bolt thrower looks particularly deadlu!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great looking figures, they look excellent on the tray as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The look great! I don't really want to see them across the table from my barbarians...but who knows?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks again for all of the kind comments.

    Pat: I fear the large infantry unit may be a bit cumbersome and end up sitting ducks for enemy missile fire. Which, BTW, this army is lacking in numbers - hopefully my bolt thrower will get lucky and pierce through four ranks everytime ;)! Yeah right! Dean

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow Dean they look great! Where do you get your round bases?

    Cheers

    Eric

    ReplyDelete
  9. Eric:

    I picked those up awhile ago (300 for about .06 cents ea) from Fastnel - if you Google them, you should be able to find a local dealer. Best, Dean

    ReplyDelete
  10. Incredibly fast. I wonder how many hours they took together.

    ReplyDelete