Friday, February 17, 2012

Front Rank Chasseurs a Cheval - WIP

Nursing a bad toothache I focused on the Front Rank Chasseurs I recently won off of ebay. This time I'll wait a day or so for the Minwax stain to dry completely before spraying with Dullcote. Luckily I'll be playing some WAB tomorrow so I won't be tempted to use the hair dryer on them.
Prior the stain they were given a pretty basic block paint job; the black parts were given a little bit of dry brushed highlights. I had started to shade some of them, but stopped after I realized it would take way longer than using the stain. For rank and file guys like these, I've found that once in formations a basic paint job looks fine.
I like how most Front Rank cavalry have the saddle and carbine attached to the figure - this not only speeds up painting, but makes for a sturdy gaming model.

11 comments:

  1. They do look nice! even without the stain. The trumpeter really stands out with his red shako and I like the purple sash it adds a little colour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks again for the kind words - and the hard to read verification code! The sash should really be more of a crimson shade, but it'll do. Best, Dean

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice brushwork Dean. Those Chasseurs a Cheval could be an avenue to explore re my Liberators project, a simple paintjob would soon convert them to Spanish Dragoons.
    Regards HGA.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful work Dean, love the colour palette used; Good luck with the toothache!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice unit!! As always I love your very clean and bright painting style.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Dean those look great! If I can ask what green did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks again, Gentlemen.

    Eric: The green is a mixture of Vallejo Flat Green and a little bit of dark blue and black. Only because that's what I have on hand. Any dark green would do also. Best, Dean

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dean, you are a painting machine. Nicely done as always.

    Cheers,

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  9. You do beautiful work, Dean. Do you play Black Powder for Napoleonics?

    ReplyDelete
  10. David:

    I just saw your post (it was marked as spam for some reason). But yes, in addition to Sharp Practice I do play Black Powder. I might even get into Waterloo if one of the locals hosts a game. Thanks again, Dean

    ReplyDelete