Friday, February 17, 2012

Warlord's Maximus and War Dog

Finally finished this set; I had to take a bit of a break as I had a minor medical procedure (let's just say it's part of an exam for those of us 50 & over), as well as still nursing a pretty bad toothache. Anyway, the horse is really nicely posed and sculpted. The rider, Maximus Overdrivus, isn't bad, but seems to be lacking some details. The facial features and the armor embossing are hard to make out. To be fair, very little of the face and armor embossing are exposed in the first place. The head and helmet do seem a bit undersized though; maybe that's the look the sculptor wanted - to exaggerate the the body size and sword. The dog is very nicely detailed, but I think the pose with the legs all drawn in doesn't look as dignified as it could've been otherwise.

Once again I couldn't wait for the Minwax stain to dry overnight on the horse. I used a hair dryer to speed up the time and sprayed with Testors Dullcote. As you might be able to tell, the horse still has a sheen to it; maybe the stain underneath is reacting to the spray coat. It won't really matter much on the gaming table though. Speaking of which, tomorrow is another day of WAB gaming. I could take the EIR army too - now that the general is finished. One more thing, I see that Blogger recently started using a comment verification code that is hard to make out - so if it gets to be pain to leave comments, I understand. Best, Dean

8 comments:

  1. I tend to give horses a satin sheen anyway as well tended horse fur is so dense and reflective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it. very good looking, I've often thought about doing that set of models also, but I just don't have a lot of cav for that army.

    And yea, that is damn hard to read confirmation code.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful work. Hope your over the visit to the Doc's.......

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job Dean. I have these figures to paint as a commander for HC but have been put off doing them because of all the armour. The new confirmation code is a pain!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely work Dean. Wonderful painting skills.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for the comments & enduring the verification dingus. Dean

    ReplyDelete