Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Front Rank Pavlovsk Grenadiers - Test Figures

Decided to try using a white undercoat - thinking the Minwax stain would darken the final product appropriately. It looks okay, but I'll go with a darker green on the coats for the rest of the figures. These are Front Rank figures that I won off of ebay for a great price (about half the normal cost). No highlighting has been added to the basic block painting prior to the dip. Here is how they look after a finish of Testors Dullcote.
The stain didn't black line the straps as well as I wanted, so I'll likely go over these areas. I also gave the metal areas (mitre plate and musket barrel) a wash of black first. The Vallejo Gold didn't cover the white undercoat that well at first.
Anyway, the sculpting and poses really simplify painting - no hard nooks and crannies to get to. Here's an interesting surviving example of a grenadier cap; with musket ball holes, presumably.

10 comments:

  1. I'm always worried that I will not get the depth of colour that I'm after with a white undercoat, but these look great. Love the picture at the bottom; I wonder if he survived?

    ReplyDelete
  2. very cool looking figs, love those helmets, the best looking Russian troops I feel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments, Gentlemen. I really love the look of these guys - the green coats and old-fashioned headgear really makes them stand out. Best, Dean

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice work! I really like the look of Front Rank miniatures.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely work Dean. I have a big soft spot for FR too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look great. Mix them in with the darker coats and they'll give the unit some character. Not all bolts of material would fade at the same rate.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice, I like the way the inking has settled on the trousers, its a great effect, nice one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those have turned out very well Dean, really off set the flattening effect of the white undercoat.
    The holes appear a bit small for musket balls, they look more like buck or pistol calibre to me.

    Regards HGA.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Again, thanks so much for the great comments; I'm encourgaed to finish the rest of the battalion the same way - with a bit of a darker green for the coat. Best, Dean

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looking good Dean, nice overall effect

    ReplyDelete