Monday, March 12, 2012

Warlord Roman Ballista

My buddy Pat L. gave me a box of Warlord Roman War Machines the other day; here is the ballista and crew painted up.
The ballista itself is plastic, but the figures are metal - including an Optio directing the crew.
A very useful addition to an Early Imperial Roman army - this thing can lob stuff up to 48" and using a 3" blast template can cause some casualties; or at the very least cause the enemy some concern.

I painted the crew and weapon up quite quickly hoping the Minwax stain would do most of the work. I think the Minwax came through. Here they are with a very basic, and somewhat crude, block paint job.
Here they are after the stain; also the stand with magnetic sheet and acrylic caulking to accept the figures.
It is very refreshing painting up figures quickly and rather carelessly knowing the Minwax stain will "cure" many of the ills. In fact, when painting up figures this way I reminisce about my childhood days of painting up Airfix 1:72nd figures - before I knew about staining and dry-brushing, that is.

14 comments:

  1. Thats a useful looking piece of artillery you've got there Dean. The stain technique works really well on the woodwork.
    Regards HGA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That thing will cause some damage!! Very nice work there Dean.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely work, Dean - I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The string is the finishing touch that really brings it together. It really looks like the torsion spring is ready to fling that stone through the air.

    Excellent work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job! I paint one of this last month. You can see it here:http://bajoelaguila.blogspot.com/2012/03/ballista-y-escorpion-romanos-warlord.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the kind words, Gentlemen.

    Alvaro: Wow, your pieces are marvelous - excellent basing too.

    Best, Dean

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sure looks big! Very nice work as well!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks great. Brush work on the ropes is very effective. I can almost hear them creaking from the strain.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's really impressive the stain has really settled everything down perfectly. Great work Sir!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice work, Dean


    http://generalwildescivilwarinminiature.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Excellent work (as usual). I've never tried to use minwax stain but do rely on either army painter or GW washes to cover up my limited painting skills.

    Be careful when you build the scorpians that come with the kit - the bows are very fragile and I broke both of them during assembly

    Miles

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, Miles. BTW, the box I got was missing the bow parts for the two scorpions. My buddy said he'd get some replacements. Regards, Dean

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely work!! That is one of my favourite Warlord miniatures!!

    Regards.

    ReplyDelete