Saturday, March 10, 2012

Foundry Russian Cuirassiers - Completed

Actually need a pack of three more troopers to make this a 12-man unit.
I added some height to the horses by gluing some plastic card beneath their bases.
As can see, one of the bases awaits another trooper. Since I use acrylic caulking to texture the bases, adding another figure to it is no problem. I also need to add a standard - or at least the pole.
Here is what the horses looked like prior to a Minwax stain. Really basic block painting (and a little sloppy too) with just the mane and tail given a dry-brush for highlighting.
And after the stain and a finish of Testors Dullcote. Nothing award-winning here, but it definitely is fast and works well enough for ranked unit basing.
Here a couple of comparison shots of the Foundry Russians next to some Perry French heavy cav.
Not so bad at all for battlefield purposes IMO; the biggest difference that I can tell is the sculpting of the horses.
The Foundry ones are a bit bulky looking, whereas the current Perry ones are much more elegantly sculpted.

21 comments:

  1. excellent! my understanding of the russian cuirassiers they wore heavy wool gray pants to protect their nice clean white breeches/riding boots? during campaigns/battles. anyway....they look fantastic, well done Sir! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Phil; I have seen a lot of illustrations with the grey overalls. However, I have one illustration of the brown/tan one also being worn. It looked good for the contrasting colors, so went for it :)! Best, Dean

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely work! I think they look supperb!

    Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. In regards to the buttons on the jackets, the Russians had switched from antique brass to a nordic tin,...who gives a shit...the figs look great...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great work Sir! A wonderful looking unit, really impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all for the kind comments.

    Pat:

    Nordic tin!?! Man, it's not enough you know WAB (as well as other rule sets) thoroughly, you even have buttons down for Napoleonics! :)!
    Dean

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I can understand him knowing about buttuns... Especially after I had to redo the buttons on a Prussian Landwehr Btln. After I had done the buttons in the wrong colour! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really dynamic unit Dean. I wouldn't worry overly about the 'cobby' horses , IMHO the Perry offerings are a bit too good for continental horses of the period.
    Regards HGA.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic Dean! These guys look really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fierce looking unit! Great paint job.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice Dean, The dip worked really well. Russians cuirassiers are cracking looking cavalry.
    Regards
    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cool, you're motivating me to get off the computer paint my Kurassiers faster.

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOL...actually I know nothing about Russian uniforms...pretty much anything after the Dark Ages I am pretty much lost. I was just messing with you...LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pat:

    Must be your Law Enforcement background; you speak with such authority :)! Dean

    ReplyDelete
  15. The stain you use, is a real excellent idea, I need to find the same kind of item over here in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very nice work! Looks really good.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great looking unit and an impressive Nap collection your accumulating!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete