Saturday, October 1, 2011

Project Plastic

One of my gaming buddies has been sitting on a couple of boxes of Victrix British for a couple of years. He has been put off, like many others, by having to glue the parts together. I told him I'd do this for him; he wanted to pay me, but I told him not to worry about it. I said it wasn't a problem and it is kind of therapeutic for me. He insisted on giving me two boxes of Warlord Praetorians for the work. Who am I to deny this - plus I still have left over silver spray paint.
I managed to complete one box of the Victrix after our Great War game today. It's all production line stuff and the hardest thing was getting the metal Light heads onto the bodies. Super glue was used for this, but the rest of the parts are glued together with Testor's modelling cement. I find this the best for plastic. Anyway, one box was enough for two 24-man battalions, including command.
I'll get the other box done tomorrow - after I go to the pistol range on Fort Lewis with my older son. The other box should be a lot faster without the need for metal heads.

ADDENDUM: For the poses requiring the two arms to hold the musket, I've found it best to glue (w/Testor's modelling cement) the two arms/hands together first. Wait about a 30 seconds to a minute and then glue the now one component onto the body at the shoulders. Since the modelling cement is still tacky, you can adjust the position of the arms while they still remain together. In fact, it's sometimes best to let the modelling cement to dry a few seconds before sticking the pieces together. You can even adjust the position of the pieces for several minutes thereafter if needed. Besides gluing the metal Lights heads on, I only use super glue to strengthen or fix broken or weak parts, like bayonets or musket slings by dropping little super glue onto the offending area/part. Granted all of this isn't as fast as pulling out complete metal figures from a bag, but such is the case with these.

10 comments:

  1. looking forward to them painted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good work Dean. I enjoy putting them together too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's what puts me off the 25mm plastics, sticking the darn things together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No doubt cleaning and putting together plastics is a pain in the rear. I'm sure your friend is quite happy.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't mind the assembly of plastics for Perry and Warlord and find the time it takes to do those is about the same as it takes me for metals. Victirx plastics are another matter. I assembled one box of the French and found it very difficult and haven't returned to them since - how would you compare the Victrix plastics to others?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Miles comments - Victrix are fiddly and the muskets & swords very slender and easily breakable. Just as well there are plenty of spares on the sprue! While Victrix range is great (looking forward to their Austrians) I find the Perrys are a lot easier to put together. Now you've finished the gluing bit, now comes the fun bit - paint, paint, paint!

    Cheers,
    Doc

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with you, Dean. And I think I may be taken advantage of a bit, I always seem to be helping my friends assemble plastic armies!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for your thought, Gentlemen.

    I find the production line method really speeds up the process - even with Victrix. Besides the metal heads wanting to fall off before the glue set, the poses with arms needing to come together may be the most fiddly. I've found that if you use Testor's or similar plastic modelling cement, it's best to glue the two arms holding the musket together first. As the glue sets a bit, then glue the two pieces as one onto the body (the upper arms to the shoulders). You can still arrange the position, but the tacky glue will keep the two arms together - making it less fiddly. Best, Dean

    ReplyDelete
  9. i too would love to have a friend, which will check all my plastik figs, i have. :-)

    alea iacta est - historical tabletop-blog

    ReplyDelete
  10. Deanbot assembles efficiently. Goodness gracious, that would have taken me forever.

    If you ever need to feel therapeutic assembling models again, I'll supply you with unassembled plastic till the sun burns out.

    Doctor Baconfat

    ReplyDelete