Monday, March 11, 2013

WAB GT AAR

Well my buddy Pat L. (aka Socal Warhammer) and I just returned from England where we not only participated in the WAB GT, but also managed to see a lot of fine historical sites - and great pubs too.
Suffice to say it was an impressively run tournament by Andy Pickering and Phil Vernon. There were 32 players, including Phil, and chock full off experienced players with great armies. The period was all the way from Chariot Wars through 31 B.C. Pat placed a very respectable 7th with his three-elephant strong Seleucid army. I was lucky to end up at 24 (no doubt my early list entry with attendant gimme-points helped toward this). I made several critical (read, stupid) tactical errors in several of my games, but managed to finish with a clear win in game 5.

All of my opponents, as well as all entrants as far as I could tell, were very courteous and friendly throughout the tournament - and also after hours at the bar downstairs of the tournament area. Most of the players also went to a fine dinner at a curry house on Saturday night.

Anyway, here are photos of my five games from the tournament with my Myceanaean Trojan War army -
vs. David Pearson's Sumerians - a tie (my only actual Chariot Wars army opponent). The river was fordable at both flanks, and there was a bridge in the middle.
vs. Michael Curtis' (of 1st Corps/Curteys) Warring States Chinese - my loss (his crossbowmen on the hill - taking pot shots at one of my chariot squadrons while his heavy chariots crash into my spearmen).
vs. Dave Johnson's Classical Indians - another loss for me (he had troops armed with longbows, as well as elephants and heavy and light chariots - with bows also). My initial deployment of troops didn't help, but Dave did mention he plays WAB twice a week! Thanks for the schooling Dave.
vs. Grahame Middleton's Syracusans - the worst defeat for my army; I did some seriously dumb things which I don't even want to recall. Grahame placed 3rd overall by the way - my crushing defeat likely assisting in this. That all said, Grahame is a first class player and gentleman. I really should've done a lot better in this game - maybe I was still feeling the effects of jet lag (yeah, that's what it was).
vs. Kerry Rayner's Armenians - my only victory! Kerry played her army very well - which by the way was composed heavily of Nomadic cavalry with all the bells and whistles of the "Expert Cavalry" rule. The terrain probably hindered her a bit with her heavy cavalry, but a bad leadership roll had her allied heavy cavalry flee off the table. I had also managed to chase most of her light cavalry off with my chariots. Kerry was quite the sport as all the rest of the players. This game brightened my day though.
1st Place for the tournament went to one Martin Gibbins with his Seleucid army; Seleucid armies, by the way, were heavily represented at the event. Which reminds me that the Best Painted army went to Mario Kkonnous' splendidly painted one-off Seleucid army. His painting style made me think of fine Renaissance artwork. What is even more amazing is that he sculpted his whole army! I believe the figures will be going into production some time in the near future - keep an eye out for them.

A hearty congrats to all the winners, as well as to Andy and Phil for hosting such a great event. The Mansfield Games venue was also first class - plenty of table space upstairs and a built-in pub below with a friendly serving lass. Something missing from this side of the pond, I think.

I would also like to thank fellow blogger Paul (aka Scrivsland) for his hospitality at the tournament and also a couple of nights afterward when he hosted a fantastic Bolt Action game for Pat, me and Stuart of Great Escape Games. Please visit Scrivs' blog for a great AAR and photos of this fun game.

Exhausting as it was, our visit to England was rewarding. We saw many interesting sites like Old Sarum, Stonehenge and several castles.We also visited the Royal Armouries at Leeds and the Bovington Tank Museum. We even managed to pay a visit to The Foundry - and when I say pay, I mean Pat bought another 3K WAB army to paint. Pat had to redistribute his haul of lead so he didn't exceed the weight limitations for his checked luggage. Thanks again to Neil at The Foundry for taking the time to show us around and also giving us some great deals.


24 comments:

  1. The boys at the WAB GT are always great I used to play every year in the early 00's. Dam shame I did not go this year just to watch woudl have been nice to meet up as have been following your blog for ages now. At least you left before the cold weather came back
    Peace James

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the pics and of course it was the jet lag!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for that, James. I was pleasantly surprised when Scrivs said he'd be there - I was also surprised when Phil told me he'd seen this blog too. Small world of gaming/painting. Best, Dean

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you had a great time over here in Blighty! Some great looking games and pics!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I sure did, Ray.

    Fran - yep, it had to have been that - feeling it still :)!

    Best, Dean

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you made it back ok.

    Mike (now over in Seattle)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great pictures and figures! Your chariots are wonderful on this table...
    Phil.

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow an international tournament experience - that must have been a lot of fun

    Great pictures

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's awesome Dean. Glad you had good time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, PC. I did enjoy the trip and meeting all the great WAB players over in the UK - not to mention M. Gibbins himself. A fine gentlemen who bought me a pint of dark ale on Saturday night after the games. BTW, luckily it was more of a historical and friendship trip for me accompanying Pat because it would be sad to say I had to fly almost five thousand miles to learn how to play my army better!:) Best, Dean

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful looking games packed full of well painted armies including your very fine Trojans Dean! I agree btw it probably was jet lag.:-)

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  12. You WAB fellows can flat out paint, judging by your excellent AAR! And losing is ok when your army looks fabulous as it exits off the table.

    Glad to hear it was everything you could have hoped for, Dean.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks and sounds like you had a wonderful time Dean. You must let us know next time you are in the UK, we might be able to catch up.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks again for the great comments everyone. Truly appreciated.

    The terrain really made the games challenging with 3K point armies. Hardly room to maneuver on some set ups; and being close to the table edge could be very dangerous when fleeing with 3D6 movement.

    I will definitely give a shout out the next time we visit the wonderful UK.

    Warm regards, Dean

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice Pictures Dean. It was a blast. I am just getting through all the pictures I took and getting them sorted out. I guess you weren't jet-lagged.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like you had a great time Dean - I'm sure you would have wowed them with your beautifully painted Trojans even if you didn't get all the wins. As well as the touristy sites, the trip to Foundry would have been interesting. You appear to have shown great restraint - I would have bought my own weight in metal minis!

    Cheers,
    Doc

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awesome that you and Pat were able to go! What a dream vacation for gamer.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for the nice comments, Gents.

    Pat: I feel asleep at the computer posting some pics on FB.

    Doc: Well, restraint aside I'm sort of regretting getting more stuff now.

    Michael: Wish you would've been able to make it - sure you'd have given Martin G. a run for the money.

    Best, Dean

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dean, I'm seriously jealous!!!

    Glad you had a great time!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks, Greg :). It was a very rewarding visit - particularly as it was very first time to Europe. I spent all of my overseas Army time in the Pacific Rim area. Best, Dean

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm glad to hear you had a good time. Thanks for posting the pictures and narrative of your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great battle report, thanks for sharing. Sounds as if you really had a great time there... Very beautiful army by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks, T. Appreciate your kind words. Dean

    ReplyDelete
  24. Indian armies always have been a nightmare in WAB. I'm not surprised you lost that game. Not at all.

    Hard luck in the tournament, but it looks as though you enjoyed your trip over the pond.

    ReplyDelete