Thursday, March 21, 2013

Louisbourg Grenadiers - A Muskets and Tomahawks Project

Just an update of a new project I'm looking forward to working on. This will be my first venture into "Lace Wars"  thanks to my recent trip to the UK where I stopped into the Wargames Foundry and picked up some great SYW figures, and also the fairly recent release of Muskets and Tomahawks by Alex Buchel. I haven't picked up the rule book yet, but read several reviews on the 'net and it sounds perfect for what I'm looking for.

Here is the bare lead of the British force I will be working on - they are some very nice British Grenadiers from Foundry's SYW range. They will be painted up as the 22th, 40th and 45th Grenadiers who were formed by General Wolfe into a provisional unit called the Louisbourg Grenadiers. They participated in many important campaigns and battles during the French and Indian War.
Here's a nice image of what they should look like:
Thanks to Neil at the Foundry, I was also able to pick up some French to oppose the British.
I plan to start on these after I play test a Bolt Action game this Saturday. Speaking of rules, I've decided to focus on Bolt Action, SAGA and Muskets and Tomahawks for smaller skirmish games; Hail Caesar and Black Powder for larger games; and finally WAB for one-on-one, tournament types of games.

12 comments:

  1. I do love the Foundry SYW stuff although its not to everyones taste. Great to see you starting in my Fav period. Will watch these progress with great interest
    Peace James

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, James. Yes, these are very nice. I would've gotten the dismounted dragoons too, but I'm focusing on FIW and pretty sure they never made it over the pond. Best, Dean

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it great to have another new project under way? I'm looking forward to seeing your work with Foundry!

    I've heard good things about M & T and one of my friends wants to give it a go. If only I could quit my day job and game night and day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Monty - so true! BTW, I was fortunate enough to have met two big names in the hobby recently, Martin Gibbins (WAB) and Stuart McCorquodale (Clash of Empires/Great Escape Games). They live and breath the hobby. Great guys and what an inspiration to know they are behind the scenes. We mortals must make do with what we can though. Warm regards, Dean

    ReplyDelete
  5. Martin is a great laugh had many a game against him when I played the WAB circiut even completed a couple of commissions for him.
    Peace James

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking forward to the painted goodness Dean.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice to see you painting up my favourite period Dean. I'll look forward to seeing these painted up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Foundry does indeed have great SYW figures in particular the early ones. Looking forward to seeing them painted up.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm looking forward to see your progress and it's always fun to start a new project!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the kind words of encouragement everyone. Admittedly, I've been not picking up the brush as in the past, but I think this project is the ticket. Best, Dean

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great looking grenadiers and uniforms...looking forward to the painting progression!
    Phil.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is going to be fun Dean, can't wait to see how you get on.

    ReplyDelete