Thursday, September 3, 2015

Late Week Arrival - Camail/Aventail

Succumbing to the sirens of ebay, I picked up a camail/aventail which I hope to attach to the bascinet recently acquired. It's another inexpensive (with free shipping) item made in India - the sticker on the packaging said so. The first thing I noticed was it's weight - which coupled with the helmet will be quite a load on the head and shoulders.
It's not a custom fitted piece, so I will have to figure out how to get it attached. A leather strip is stitched to the end of the mail area to be attached to the helmet. I showed it to my wife, who is a skilled seamstress; she said it was hand stitched - pretty impressive as the leather is fairly thick.
My wife recommended I start attaching the camail from the center rear - punching holes in the leather to match the vervelles at the base of the helmet. She cautioned me to "not screw it up" or words to that effect. Here's how I hope to have it attached - from a nice step-by-step tutorial of a similar camail.
Need to pick up some wire from the hardware store.

13 comments:

  1. You are going to look quite formidable walking the streets of Puyallup in that combo!
    Will it be ready in time for Halloween?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha ,it would be great if I could have it done by then, Jonathan. Although it will probably be raining that night. Warm regards, Dean

      Delete
  2. Excellent! Free shipping as well, bet that cost hem a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was quite a hefty package, Ray! Regards, Dean

      Delete
  3. Wow Dean, you're really plating up - what else do they have in their "Indian arsenal" could you get breast plates etc and go for a full body armor?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, thanks, Soren. I have my eye on some hourglass gauntlets. We'll see if I regain my senses first though. Best, Dean

      Delete
  4. Lots of interesting toys lately. Fun stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jason. Yes, I have been indulging myself a bit lately. Warm regards, Dean

      Delete
  5. Thanks, Gents! I just posted an WIP update. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're building quite an outfit Dean, lovely addition.

    ReplyDelete