Sunday, January 12, 2014

Crusader WotR Knights - WIP +2

I was motivated to do a little more work on these as I was feeling guilty eating a few plates of meatballs, followed by a bag of chips. Figured I needed to burn some calories. Dug out the old Dremel and polished up the armor on the knights and horses. A wash of Vallejo Black Ink/Stain followed to bring out the details.
The metal brush was used on medium speed; it only took about 5-10 minutes to do them all. If you use this method, I would suggest following the fluting of the armor to avoid possible loss of details. Although, if you use a light touch it should be okay in any case.
The main reason I wanted full plate knights on plate barded horses was the fact that it would only require a few areas needing actual painting. I'm quite a lazy painter.

15 comments:

  1. LOL Awesome to see this done to them it looks so good. Does it last?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now you'll have to paint all the detail by hand! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments and interest in the project, everyone.

    @ Simon: They'll get sprayed a light clear coat - then last as long as any other figure with a clear coat.

    @ Michael: Yes, but as the armor covers much of the figure (horse included) there really isn't much to paint.

    Warm regards, Dean

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking good and an interesting period to game.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice! I've never seen this trick before. So you've got a WotR project coming?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the visit and comments, Neil and Monty.

    @ Monty - Altough I like WotR, I can't bring myself to paint up mass quantities of longbowmen. These three will flesh out the ranks of my Late-HYW French army.
    I've used this technique for some time - back when I used to paint 54mm stuff. All of the other figues in my French HYW army have their armor done this way.
    Thanks, Dean

    ReplyDelete
  7. Burnishing works well for these figures. It really looks like polished steel.

    Looking forward to seeing the burnished armor combined with your fine brushwork.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I once saw a chap burnish white metal to a mirror surface, all by hand, using nothing but a large needle. He ran the needle side back and forth for hours on end to get a high polish. Quite mad. Your method seems a lot simpler :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice job, I'd never thought of doing that with my dremel!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the visit and comments, Gentlemen.

    @ Michael - yes, that is another method - it is very effective for a mirror finish, but also very time consuming. I've actually done parts of armor with a needle in tight areas - on 28mm figs, of course.

    Warm Regards, Dean

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dremel fitness, the next fitness craze?

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOL! I had considered doing squats while using the Dremel, but the cord wouldn't reach. Dean

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very nice Dean! I have heard of doing this but I would only stuff it up and destroy the detail!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks, Rodger. I think only if you hover over a certain area too long and press too hard against it would cause loss of some detail. Anyway, I find it faster and easier than painting ;) Best, Dean

    ReplyDelete