Saturday, June 1, 2013

Empire Griffon - Deathclaw - WIP

Started working on the Karl Franz on Deathclaw kit; here are the wings, heads and body. There are actually three heads, the one not pictured is like the ond on the right but without skull armor. The two-headed one is for the wizard mount.
The wings were sprayed with Rustoleum flat brown and then a light black spray on the outer wing tips. I don't own an air brush, nor am I experienced with them, so just use regular aerosol can spray - and masking tape when needed like with these wings. A light dry-brush was used over both finishes. I have to say the Rustoleum was worrying me as it took a while to dry - overnight. The left fore foot and two rear feet have magnets inserted to mount on the base. The wing will also have magnets for ease of transport and storage. Green Stuff was inserted into the body cavity for the wing.

Here is the body with a stain of Minwax Tudor Satin. I used the box art as a guide as I have very little experience painting animals (griffons included) except for horses.
As I was waiting for the Rustoleum to dry, I put together the three riders - from let to right - Empire General, Karl Franz and the Wizard. Karl Franz' right arm has a magnet to switch out the Runefang and Hammer. The base is also completed with magnets to hold down the model very securely, and still able to be removed if needed.

10 comments:

  1. I like the idea that you have gone for the 3 rider options, much more scope! Lovely work so far Dean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Fran. The versatility of these kits are really nice. Best, Dean

    ReplyDelete
  3. Big, brash beautiful model! I love the versatility you're adding. It's almost like you've been working in WH exclusively for the last 10 years!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Monty. Appreciate the kind words - I am very enthused with these Empire models. Starting late in the game, all my troops are the newer plastics - very therapeutic model building. Best, Dean

    ReplyDelete
  5. fantastic work, I do love your empire army its a real treat
    Peace James

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really nice work Dean, particularly like the tiger stripes.
    Regards HGA.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice WIP so far the Tiger stripes look great look forward to seeing this finished as well as seeing the various riders done also.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looking great! No one here seems to carry the english Tudor shade. Can you post the product code so I can order it. I've been using a different shade, works ok, not like the Tudor though...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the kind words, everyone. Best, Dean

    P.S. Michael, the only place that carries it here in WA State is Ace Hardware.

    ReplyDelete
  10. No nothing about the figures but looks great Dean!

    ReplyDelete