Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Achilles Rampant or a Feeble Attempt at Reviving this Blog

Thanks to my recent (last Memorial Day weekend) attendance at our annual historical gaming con, Enfilade!, my interest in historical gaming has been re-kindled. As mentioned in my previous post, I ran my old Siege of Haengju game in four gaming periods. It was four more games than I had participated in for the previous 12 months. I ended up really enjoying GMing the games and started to think about what to host for next year's con. Having sold off over half of my collection, I thought I'd use my remaining figures - and thought it'd be great to pull out my Trojan War figures for a version of Lion Rampant. I drafted a set of rules that would be convention friendly and formed up "retinues" - I think calling them warbands are more appropriate for this period. To get in the mood, I took these staged shots.
Obviously total disregard of the 3" between units rule.
The "trees" are recent conversions from "flowers" I picked up from Michael's.
6 warbands - I find that 6 players are optimal for convention games.
I modified the rules to allow 2" minimum distance between units, as well as limiting dice to 6 for full strength units and 3 dice for under half-strength. I envisioned this to make the game a little less deadly and allow the game to be played a bit longer as the gaming periods are 4 hours each. Also, as I don't plan on adding more figures to this collection, I fudged the number of some of the skirmisher units - basically giving them full strength at whatever they start the game with. Since I had an odd number of chariots (15), one has a unit of Chariot Runners with it. Oh, and there are several 3-figure Hero units - a sort of take on the adaption of the rules with Dragon Rampant. Here are the draft rules:
Before I could get a play test in, I decided to run the First St. Albans game for the con next year. The only problem is I sold off my War of the Roses figures last year. Just this morning I placed a rather large (for me anyway) order from the Perry Bros. I will have close to 200 figures to paint up - once I order some paint that is, as I threw away all of the few bottles of Vallejo I had thinking I'd never paint again. More to follow. And a sincere thank you for visiting my resurrected blog.

42 comments:

  1. Nice to have you back, Dean!

    Look forward to seeing how you do the Perry figures...

    Cheers,
    Aaron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words and encouragement, Aaron. I certainly need it as I've not painted anything to speak of for quite some time! I'm hoping Minwax Tudor Satin stain will be my salvation. :) Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  2. Great to hear that the hubby bug has bitten again Dean, really looking forward to the updates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, nice to have you visit again, Michael! I will certainly be posting stuff again - maybe not as often as in the past, but still... Yes, hosting games really got me back in the "game" so to speak :) I am quite convinced that I enjoy GMing games far more than playing too. Best, Dean

      Delete
  3. Good to see you posting again. Very nice looking collection in a fascinating period - no wonder you kept them. Hope you don't regret getting rid of any of the others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, UG. So far, the only regret was the Perry plastic WotR infantry - not looking forward to painting up all of the livery coats again :). Otherwise I'm very pleased with the sales of the other figures - over half of my collection. Thanks again for visiting, and warmest regards. Dean

      Delete
  4. Welcome back Dean. Don't worry about the painting, its like riding a bike - you'll soon pick it up again. Best HGA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much as always, HGA. Always great to hear from you. I do have a soft spot for this period - the armor and such :)! Peace, Dean

      Delete
  5. It's excellent to see you back! I look forward to seeing what you do with those Perry models.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, Steven. I'm looking forward to these great Perry figures. I need to get some Testors glue too! :) Best, Dean

      Delete
  6. Great to have you back Dean!!! The figures DO look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Ray. I feel great to be back with the great community we have. I was lost, but now am found :) Regards, Dean

      Delete
  7. Welcome back Dean...with fantastic pictures and minis!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Phil! I am looking forward to getting back in the saddle, so to speak. Warm regards, Dean

      Delete
  8. Good to see your Trojan War figures in action Dean! Look forward to seeing your Perry WotR figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mike! Your recent Biblicals inspired me! Best, Dean

      Delete
  9. Your Trojan War collection looks great! Welcome back to the hobby!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Christopher. I do still plan on gaming this scenario, but probably not at a con - where things get a bit too busy, and I'm afraid one of the Green Stuff helmet horns might break off :) Best, Dean

      Delete
  10. If it helps to encourage you, I've had your Displaced Miniatures gallery bookmarked for quite some time now, and use it as inspiration whenever my own enthusiasm flags. Keep going! Your Trojan stuff is some of the best out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah! What a nice comment about the old DM site, Christopher! I keep it bookmarked too - mainly to see the figures I used to have :) No regrets selling them off though. Best, Dean

      Delete
  11. Great looking minis (as usual) - nice to have you back, Mr Dean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly, Miles. I was inspired by your posts on terrain building and convention games you run. I really like hosting games more than playing in other folks' games. :) Best, Dean

      Delete
  12. I've thought about that for Romans as well. Just when you thought you were out, you get drug back in. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! PC, nice to hear from you. I think the "bug" was rooted deep down inside and never truly left. It was just dormant for a bit. :) Warm regards, Dean

      Delete
  13. Replies
    1. Thanks,Michal.Also taking a little break from Samurai, both 28mm and 1:1. Lol! Regards, Dean

      Delete
  14. Good to see you back Dean.

    Cheers, Ross

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thank you very much, Ross. You all make me feel like I never left. Kind regards, Dean

      Delete
  15. Excellent news! Great to have you back on board.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Nick! Warm Regards, Dean

      Delete
  16. Welcome back! Your Trojan collection is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jonathan! The last time they were actually gamed was in 2013...at the WAB GT in England, of all places - where they lost 4 out of 5 games :). Looking forward to working on the Perry WotR plastics. Warm regards, Dean

      Delete
  17. Welcome back indeed. Lovely looking Trojan's as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly, Simon. These are some of my first 28mm figures and near and dear :) Kind regards, Dean

      Delete
  18. First St. Albans should be an interesting game. Are you using Lion Rampant for it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David, Yes, definitely will be using LR for it. I ran this game a few times a couple of years ago. I still have all the terrain, including cool 4-Ground hooches. However, in my zeal to downsize, I sold off all of the figures. So will have to paint up 4 boxes of Perry plastics. Did I mention I also need paint. I got rid of the few bottles of Vallejo I had. I use mostly primary colors and mix them so don't need too many replacements. Thanks for dropping by. Best regards, Dean

      Delete
  19. Lovely looking figures, sounds like it would be a good game. Looking forward to you redoing all your wotr stuff again, at least the bill and bows set is one of the best plastics sets out there in my humble opinion anyway!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Iain! Your recent work is inspiring. Although I am not particularly looking forward to putting together and painting 3 boxes of infantry (120 figs!) - I agree they are great figures. I also ordered a box each of foot and mounted knights/MAA. The latter replacing the Old Glory figs I had. Warm regards, Dean

      Delete
  20. Great post, Dean, and good to see you back in the blogging saddle again.

    Looking forward to more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the visit and kind comment, Robert! I appreciate the warm welcome back to the community. We'll see if I can still put paint on figures. Regards, Dean

      Delete