Sunday, May 28, 2017

Enfilade! 2017

Well, I spent the Memorial Day weekend at my 10th Enfilade! down in beautiful Olympia, Washington. This was a record-breaking Enfilade! of sorts. The official numbers: 350 Attendees; 135 Games; and 65 Game Masters.

I somehow managed to run (successfully I was told by non-biased folk -  like the players) not 1, not 2 or 3, but 4 Siege of Haengju games. I also managed to retain my voice - even though I was severely outnumbered 26:1 in players (cumulative over the four games) vs. game master (me). As I ran this game (again successful I was told) several years ago, I knew the rules and scenario were fine. Still, I hadn't hosted (or played) a game in months (maybe years). Anyway, I am actually looking forward to next year's con and considering what game to host again. Without further ado, here is a picture of one of the Haengju games.
Korean Elite cav and Ming Heavy cav coming on table at the bottom of Turn 6. They weren't a factor as the Japanese were never able to enter the top tier of the Korean defenders' hilltop - the former's victory condition. This was either the third or fourth game - I can't recall as I'm still nursing my wounds.
A few pictures of the plethora of games over the weekend. I actually left Sunday (today) morning, and there were still a lot more games being run. Captions taken from the official convention events listing.

Omaha Beach Presented by Greg Moore. Homebrew rules. "Omaha Beach Invasion in 10mm scale. All vehicles, landing craft, and some terrain features 3D printed. Original rule system designed for quick play. Players will all be on U.S. side and will consist of 4 pairs competing against the other pairs to accomplish the most by the end of the time limit."

Return to the Island of the Crocodile God Presented by Warren Bruhn. Pulp Alley. "A rugged volcanic island, well off the regular trade routes in the Indian Ocean, came to the attention of several national archaeology teams shortly before WW1. They were defeated by the Island. Now a few of them are back for another try. This game will be smaller than last year, with only 5 players. But it will be run 3 times to give more people a chance to try Pulp Alley."

Battle of Kalka River 1223 Presented by Mike Garcia. Lion Rampant. "The Kipchak Khan flees before a Mongol reconnaissance force. He petitions the Russians to help him fight this unknown adversary. The Russians eagerly accept. The Mongols feign flight deeper and deeper into the Steppes leading the tired Russians and Kipckaks into a trap at the Kalka River."

Test of Honor Demo Presented by Marky Erhardt. Test of Honor. "Come and learn to play Warlord games Test of Honor. This is a demo and will play multiple game over the time slot. Each game should last about 30-40 min. Test of Honor is a skirmish war game played with roughly 5-12 models on each side. Each game based around a Samurai Hero along with a variety of clan soldiers. Battles are swift and bloody as players' alternate acting with one of their warriors."

Hastings 1066 Presented by Gary Strombo. Lion Rampant. "Hastings 1066, William of Normandie makes his attempt to Invade and take England! Standing in his way is Harald Godwinson, his brothers, and 8000 battle hardened men. Who will succeed and rule this Island?! 400 miniatures on a custom table."

Battle of Lutzen Presented by Chris Leach & Rick Stevens. Armati 2. "1632, Battle of Lutzen, The Swedes and Imperialists fight it out in this classic pike and shot early modern battle of the 30 Years War. The Swedish King and warlord Gustavus Adolphus died during the battle but the Swedes held onto the battlefield to claim a pyrrhic victory."

The on game I actually was a player in -

The Search for the Holy Grail Presented by Scott S. Williams. In Her Majesty's Name. " The Holy Grail has been found- and lost again- in London's East Side! Four Companies compete to find the hidden Grail and get it off their side of the table, while keeping the others from beating them to it. Set in the peas-soup fog of Victorian London's East End docks, play as the Archaeologists, the Cultists, the Mudlarks, or the Toshers- each company has their own strengths and weaknesses."

Anyway, hope you liked my quarterly blog posting. :)

23 comments:

  1. Dean that looked like a great time. I find the smaller venues to be a bit more fun. I go to a convention called CincyCon in southern Ohio that is a little bigger than this one and I have had more fun that at the big cons. Less hustle and bustle and more immersion into what's going on.

    Cheers
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly for stopping by and commenting, Kevin! I truly appreciate it. I've never been to anything larger than Enfilade! and feel it is big enough already. I would be lost and bewildered at anything larger - like what I've heard of something like Historicon. What is cool about Enfilade! is I pretty much know all the attendees - at least by appearance if not by name. Warm regards, Dean

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks, Mike. There were so many cool games. Although I enjoyed GMing my 4 games, that kept me from getting in others. :) Regards, Dean

      Delete
  3. Welcome back Dean!
    These games looking really awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michal. It was great to see folks I only see once a year (in person). Nice re-establishing friendships. Oh, and I'm already trying to decide what to host next year - Right now, either Trojan War using Lion Rampant or maybe Napoleonic using Chosen Men (which I've never played). Best, Dean

      Delete
  4. Impressive games, Dean! Great to see you posting again :)

    Cheers,
    Aaron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Aaron. Attending the one gaming venue for the entire year was a shot in the arm. I don't foresee painting anything yet, but do want to plan hosting games again. Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  5. Good to see you post again! What was the game like in which you played?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Steven. Well, the mechanics reminded me a bit like a cross between an RPG (which I don't do) and TSATF (which I've only played a handful of times). That is, D10 rolls followed by responses, and so on. We played about 10 turns with 8 players, and took a long, long time w/o achieving a definitive outcome (victory condition). When I asked, the GM said it was best played with a max of 4 players - so 8 at a con w/no experience; you get the idea. Nice guys the GMs, but I would've liked a faster playing con game for the only period I wasn't GMing :) Best, Dean

      Delete
  6. Quarterly update is better than never! Great looking game, Dean. Hosting four games makes you an Iron Man!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jon! I actually enjoy GMing more than playing (especially if I don't know their rules). That said, four games was a bit tiring. The cool thing was it was the same game X 4 so the table just had to be set up once. I'm already trying to come up with what I'll run next year, God willing. With existing figures of course. All the Best, Dean

      Delete
  7. Great report, Dean. As others have said, its good to see you back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Robert. It really was nice to see folks from the community again; as well as all of the superb games. Regards, Dean

      Delete
  8. Nice looking game Dean, far better to go with quality rather than quantity. I know from experience running rpg's that organising players can be like herding cats! Regards HGA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! Thanks, HGA. I signed up for the game specifically because I didn't want to play i a larger (lots of units) game. It ended up sort of being that way, as each of the 8 players had about 5-6 figures and each had to roll individually (shooting & combat), so ended up taking just as long as a larger game. Minutes hang like hours waiting for your turn. Like sands in an hourglass, these are the days of our lives! :) Best regards, Dean

      Delete
  9. Great to hear from you Dean, looks like you had a fabulous time too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Michael! Yes, I was/still am stoked that I attended. I was wondering how I was going to feel about it, having stepped away a bit from the hobby (painting & gaming-wise). I suppose staying connected via the NHMGS FaceBook throughout the year really enhanced it Thanks as always, Dean

      Delete
  10. Great looking games and well done on running yours 4x (that does make for a long day!)

    Nice to hear from you
    Miles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear from you too, Miles! I'm surprised how much I enjoyed it after not touching the hobby since last year! I'm already trying to figure out what to host next year! :) Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  11. Had a good time in your game and it was nice hanging with you a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, Gabe! Would've love to play in your game if I hadn't been hosting mines. Anyway, I may have to make a trip down to game with all you fine Portland and beyond Oregonites! :)

      Delete