Saturday, June 21, 2014

Campanians vs. Seleucids WAB Game

Several of the local crew showed up today at the Game Matrix to play some WAB. Although I like Hail Caesar, or at least a simplified version better, I don't mind playing WAB once in a while. This especially so as many of my gaming buddies still like to play it. I cobbled together existing figures for a Campanian army with Pyrrhic allies. There are two Hoplite units, two Oscan cavalry unit - one each with javelins and thrusting spears, one Oscan Warrior unit with throwing spears, a Pyrrhic Guards unit with thrusting spears and javelins, and finally a unit of Cretan bowmen. Pat let our buddy Garry G. run his Seleucid army with several pike units, Argyraspids, an armored Indian elephant and several skirmish units. Gary doesn't play WAB, so we wanted to give him a chance to get in on it. We both had 2,500 point armies.
The Campanian right flank and center facing Seleucid pikes and an Indian elephant
The Campanian left - Oscan cavalry and Warriors - after scaring off the Seleucid light cavalry and Argyraspids.


Seleucid Indian war elephant in combat with two Oscan Hoplite units. Earlier, the Pyrrhic Guards had forgotten they were Stubborn and broke after failing their first Break test.
The poor elie fleeing after losing combat to the two Hoplite units.
The Campanian army arrayed prior to the battle. From left to right, Pyrrhic Guards, Oscan cavalry, two units of Hoplites, Cretan archers, Oscan Warriors and another unit of Oscan cavalry.
I will likely add a few more missile skirmishers as my initial list had the Army General, Army Standard and a Leader (sub-general) on warhorses in the cavalry units. I took Pat's sound advice prior to this game and put them in the hoplite units.

34 comments:

  1. It was truly a fun time. Dean, we know you love WAB! Perhaps next time we will run Chariot Wars? Perhaps that can be an upcoming campaign? Have you given any thought to are Classical Campaign?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pat. It was not a bad game, and look forward to playing in a few weeks up in Everett. I'd be happy to participate in a campaign too. Dean

      P.S. I just re-pointed/adjusted my army and will have more missile troops next time.

      Delete
  2. The units/figures look awesome! hehehe I like the Pyrrhic Guards routing after their first break/morale testing! :o)

    great game's report Dean!

    cheers,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phil:

      I have a well-deserved reputation of rolling high for Leadership tests, and low for shooting/combat. Today was no different:) Best, Dean

      Delete
  3. Greats looking game, Dean! Your Campanian contingent looks terrific.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jonathan. It's actually a pretty solid army - I just need to get more familiar with it Best, Dean

      Delete
  4. Stunning photos, great battle still life.
    The elephant is handsome.
    By the way, will this be a pyrrhic victory for the struggle and pains of Tantalus

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Thanks for the comment, MM. I have to say the Seleucids got the better of the Campanians - this time anyway. Best, Dean

      Delete
  5. Great looking battle, Dean! I loved the line..."the Pyrrhic Guard forgot they were stubborn." I hate when that happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Monty. In fact, my buddy Pat is the one who reminded after the game, of course. He is quite the WAB guru - he probably was a bit amused when I didn't recall the Stubborn rule. Best, Dean

      Delete
    2. If he knew then he should have reminded you they were stubborn IMHO.

      Christopher

      Delete
    3. Christopher: I'm sure Pat didn't realize it at the time. He was helping our buddy Gary who was unfamiliar with WAB. Best, Dean

      Delete
  6. Very impressive looking game! I love seeing two beautifully painted armies on the table :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, my friend. Pat is a not only an excellent painter, but quite a knowledgeable wargammer too. Best, Dean

      Delete
  7. Great looking game Dean. Pike era ancients does offer some interesting match ups.
    Regards HGA.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great looking game, these armies are really impressive, I love your war elephant especialy...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phil:

      The elie is Pat's. I have a couple, but didn't run an army with them this time. Best, Dean

      Delete
  9. Howzit Dean
    Great looking game and figures. Pity Ellie didn't get to stomp on a few hoplites!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A good looking game, I find elephants a bit hit and miss, mostly miss though, they never perform the way you would hope.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a great looking game and army Dean!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  12. A lovely looking army, Dean. Unusual, too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for visiting, Gentlemen. I'm happy the game/photos meet meet your approvals. It was nice to get these figures out of the cabinet to get some play time in again. They hadn't been used for quite some time. Best, Dean

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great stuff Dean! Everything looks amazing mate.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks, Gents! I like this army as it is rather compact and I don't have to worry about transporting pikes. And the hoplites still get a lot of the phalanx rules benefits. Just have to strike after pikes, but that's okay as they have a decent armor save - light armor and large shield. Best, Dean

    ReplyDelete
  16. I don't know if I'd enjoy playing WAB again, but that is one fantastic looking battle regardless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jason. I don't mind playing it once in a while with buddies who still prefer it over other Ancient/Medieval rules. Personally, I'm not a points-based gamer and find much of the characteristics of different troop types cumbersome. Best, Dean

      Delete
  17. Great looking minis and game shots!

    And it is good to see you play the rules that gave this blog it name again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Burkhard. I have to agree with the game that named the blog :)! Best, Dean

      Delete
  18. Great looking figures Dean and it looks like you had fun delving back into WAB!

    ReplyDelete