Sunday, June 15, 2014

Battle of Bosworth Field Project - WIP

Just a quick update of what I've been working on. While waiting for an order of Litko plywood bases to arrive, I've sorted out some existing figures after removing them from individual bases. Besides the Perry plastics, metal Old Glory figures that were based for a French HYW WAB army will be used for this project. Some of the figures are in older armor - Agincourt period - but will represent French mercenaries in Henry Tudor's "invasion" force. All of the mounted knights/MAA previously had flags on their lances. They'll be based 3-figures per 80X50mm bases - and will be generic enough to use in various armies.
I'll probably get another box of Perry infantry for a few more billmen. I may also have to get the Mercenaries box too, as the crossbowmen and handgunners I have are from the Agincourt and earlier period. Too bad puffy sleeves came in a bit later, or I could use the WHFB Empire guys :)! Actually, the scenario will not need too many missile troops. The majority of shooting will occur in the opening turn(s). The bowmen will be allowed "Arrow Storm" - i.e. double the shooting dice the first time they fire. After that it would behoove them to retire behind the heavy infantry as the bowmen's hand-to-hand and survival qualities will be much lower than the billmen and knights/MAA. This I think was historical in the War of the Roses. That is, both sides pretty much cancelled any advantage of longbow fire as they both sides used them.

16 comments:

  1. That's a lot of figures. Some nice lances in there - can only applaud folks who can paint them all nice and stripey...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm looking forward to getting them re-based and playtested. I foresee it being a slugfest below Ambion Hill :)! Best, Dean

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks, Michael - the next step is the easy part - removing the figures from their former bases was the hardest part - and still wasn't bad. Best, Dean

      Delete
  3. Looking good. I continue to be amazed by your deep bench of figures and periods!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Monty. The majority of these figures were formerly used in a WAB French HYW army - one that hadn't seen any action for some years. Best, Dean

      Delete
  4. Looking forward to seeing them all based up Dean and I'm also in the process of re-basing some of older WAB armies.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Christopher. So far, the only armies I still have based for WAB are a Myceanaean/Trojan army, an Early-HRE army and phalanx units of Hoplites and Macedonian/Successor pikes. I will likely leaves these as they are. Best, Dean

      Delete
  5. I enjoy seeing your works -in-progress. You have some work in front of you but rebasing is a bit therapeutic, don't you think? Especially rewarding when the task is finished!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is very therapeutic and satisfying, Jonathan; especially when they'll fit a ruleset I hope will give them more table top time. Best, Dean

      Delete
  6. Solid progress Dean. I'll be following this with interest whilst trying to resist temptation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank for stopping by and posting the nice comment. I think you could do worse than trying out a box of Perry plastic WotR figs, :)! Best, Dean

      Delete
  7. Personally I hate re basing. I do hope it all goes well. Good luck Dean!

    ReplyDelete
  8. whatever you decide, do yourself a favor and grab a box of the mercenaries as well. if nothing else the influx of different parts will inspire you in new ways. i have stated before that the reason i like this line of figures is because of the versatility and ease of conversion. also i have faith that you will come up with a concoction i have so far missed. good luck with it i can't wait to see your progress!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip about the merc box. I was debating to pick the last box up at my FLGS, but wanted more bowmen. I think I'll get it as I see they have the option for 12 polearms - which I also need. I just didn't feel like building more crossbowmen and handgunners, as I have a lot already, but they are either earlier Medieval or later Empire type. Best, Dean

      Delete