Sunday, February 28, 2010

Perry Rifles Painted and Warzone Terrain

Finished the 12 Perry Riflemen yesterday - they took about a day & a half. Pretty fast for me - the color scheme being fairly simple - mostly green and black. I split the sets of command and riflemen into a unit  each of the 95th and 60th; there were two each officers, buglers, and sergeants in the command pack.
 
The guys on the far right in the top two photos are the plastic Perry Riflemen that came with an issue of Wargames Illustrated. The third photo shows the pack numbers that are decals from Alban Miniatures. I didn't add the canteen decals as they were kind of small - maybe someday when I have more patience. I used Micro Sol to have them seat right - but it appears the bugler's needs a little more on the right pack strap.

For Sharp Practice, Rifles operate in groups, and cannot form into formations (more than one group). Groups are a minimum of 6 figures - less than this number and they lose their bottle (basically break). The plan is to increase these two groups by eight Victrix Portuguese Cacadores - for a fairly large group size of 15 each - maybe too large? I'll have to see when I play test them. The British Rifles will be classed as Elite and the Portuguese as Good - I think you can combine different troop types - if not, it will be a "house-rule."

The Warzone hill terrain arrived the other day. I was surprised to see how slim the mailing package was - they really know how to maximum space in packing. Below is a staged shot of how the hills can be placed for an ambush type of scenario.
 

10 comments:

  1. Looks good - I eagerly anticipate an AAR or two of your Sharp Practice games.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rab:

    I'm starting on the Front Rank guerrillas today. Once their done, I'll have the first playtest in a week or two - can't wait on the Victrix guys - will add them after they arrive (& painted). Regards, Dean

    ReplyDelete
  3. You spelt 'colour' wrong ;)

    I was looking at my 'Wellington's Army' Osprey book today at the 95th and 60th rifles! How bizarre. Great looking unit though. Can't wait to see more.

    Consul.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely painting. Well done on those numbers aswell...very tricky brush work there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, those are decals from Alban Minis.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, a day and a half to complete 12 figures at your level - now that's fast work. Great looking as usual. Which type of game do your prefer - the classic large formations or the skirmish type games.

    I find myself beginning to lead towards the skirmish type games. Perhaps it's just a phase...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great question. At the moment, I like the fact that Sharp Practice is basically "non-historical" set in a historical period. Meaning I don't have to worry about true OB's to create units for the gaming table/scenario.

    However, I do try to stay within reason - for instance, if a certain type of unit never set foot in the Peninsular, I'd refrain from using them. On the other hand, if the 13th Cuirassiers did in fact serve somewhere in the Peninsular - I have little problem using Cuirassiers in a scenario - in cuirass and in blue coats at that. Never mind the ones I have are the 4th in aurore facings :).

    Another nice thing with SP (for me anyway) is that there are no army lists - so if I fancy getting a box of Dragoons and painting half as elites and half as line - I can, without having to paint up a regiments worth. Heck, I would like to get a few of the Perrys' Bashi-Bazouks from their Sudan range and paint them up as Greek Light Infantry in British Service!

    Maybe in the future, I could gravitate to larger games based on actual battles with OB's etc. - but I don't have the number of figures at the moment. I really have nothing against it though. Warm regards, Dean

    ReplyDelete
  8. 'I like the fact that Sharp Practice is basically "non-historical" set in a historical period'

    That's my entire wargaming philosophy summed up in one line! I don't want to worry too much about historical accuracy so long as it's roughly right and I stay 'within reason' as you say. Makes it a lot more fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Consul:

    That said, I do believe there are times when it is fun to try and recreate (as closely as possible) historical scenarios. However, many times even the sources near to the event in time have conflicting detais. I think gamers are allowed a certain leeway in many respects because of this. As you said, enjoy the hobby! Dean

    ReplyDelete
  10. I tend to stress the "game" part of war-game and so go with approximately historical when playing or running games. If the playing provides a good feel for the period without gratuitous complexity, it's a good outcome.

    As I play more I'm also realizing that the staging of the game (physical location, terrain, period music, etc.) has as big an impact on the game as does the rules. Well enough rambling from me.

    I look forward to seeing the Front Rank guerrillas.

    ReplyDelete