Tuesday, October 24, 2023

Valour and Fortitude - 1809 French/Bavarians vs. Austrians

My buddy hosted another one of his 1809 Campaign games this evening. This time using Valour and Fortitude for rules. I only played the first version once, a couple of years ago - also hosted by my buddy, and also an 1809 Campaign scenario. For this evening's game, none of the eight players were very familiar with the rules - including my buddy who GM'd - as it was the first time using the updated version of the rules. I'm sure we missed a few things, but overall the game ran pretty smoothly. I ran two brigades of French infantry on the right flank. Another player on the same flank ran a couple of French/Bavarian cavalry brigades - one light and one medium. The other two players on our left flank and center ran Bavarian brigades. I think our left was getting battered by the Austrians, but our right flank did pretty well. The cavalry ended up destroying an Austrian Lancer regiment, and my French infantry destroyed the Austrian's best infantry brigade holed up in a village. As for the rules, they were fun to play - but again, I relied heavily on the GM and a few of the players who were reading up on the rules during game play. I pretty much got the basics down and ran with it. One thing that is unlike some of the other rules I'm familiar with is the firing phase being first; and once that unit has fired it cannot be activated to do anything else. I think skirmisher are an exception and can activate after firing, I think. There was something about not being able to fire at the same target with another unit - if I recall correctly.  Anyway, here are some photos from the game - all the figures and terrain are my buddy's. I may have mentioned it in previous posts, but for Napoleonics, he is only interested in the 1809 Campaign and has a huge collection for it.

My two French infantry brigades assualting the Austrians in the building/village. It had to be more than a building as an Austrian brigade occupied the area. The rules only allow one unit to melee an enemy, but can have supporting units for more attack dice. The average number of melee dice was 4 (before mods being added), and 3 for shooting.







French Chasseurs in melee with Austrian Lancers. They fought it out several times during the game - the Lancers eventually being routed.


Overall the game seemed to play even faster than Black Powder - that is, units break pretty quickly, especially in melee. Like Chain of Command, I don't mind playing these rules, but will likely only play it if someone else is hosting/running the game. I still like Black Powder over it, as I do Bolt Action over Chain of Command. The thing is, most folks I game with here hate (or strongly dislike) Black Powder and Bolt Action. Maybe it's because I'm not too worried about the "realism" that may be lacking in these games which others are looking for in a set of rules. In any case, thanks for checking out the blog and hope you all are doing well.

14 comments:

  1. Nice to see so focussed a collection. I can't comment on the rules as I haven't tried them.
    Stephen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stephen. Yes, his passion for the 1809 Campaign is impressive. He has a collection of actual weapons and headgear from the period - picked up while he served in Europe with the Army. He's a retired Infantry Colonel. The funny thing is, I got into Napoleonic gaming with a focus on the Peninsula War - probably because I was getting into wargaming around the time both Victrix plastic British and French, and Sharp Practice (1st ed.) were released. :) Kindest regards, Dean

      Delete
  2. Nice looking game and collection Dean - I see a few good old Minifigs in amongst them!
    I have never played BA but have seen it and it didn't look great - too much like Warhammer in WWII to me (but then, given your blog title, you probably like Warhammer!) I DO like CoC although its several years since my last game.
    I have played BP and HC a few times and wasn't super fussed on them, either. Having read Iain (Caveadsum) report on trying the same rules, he motioned there are no saving throws - which suggest to me I would prefer V&F over BP, because I really don't like saving throws!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Keith. Yes, my buddy has had his collection for years (decades?); and these are only half of the Austrians and Bavarians he has. He only has about 8 battalions of French. BTW, all of units are on the large side. And, they are a lot of Minifigs - he does have a few others, but again mostly older types. I can't say CoC doesn't have a lot going for it - I just haven't committed to it. Funny thing is when I first started gaming - with WAB - I didn't like Saving Throws either! :) I've been playing rules with this feature so long, I was surprised with the lack of it in V&F. It does speed up the game - not having it, though. The guys I played with last night game every week - at least once - so they are very seasoned and experienced. They very much dislike BP and BA. I guess I don't game enough to really appreciate the flaws in those rules :) Kindest regards, Dean

      Delete
  3. What a fabulous looking game Dean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ray! The group of guys I played with last night - play every Tuesday night - they are sort of like the Rejects :) Kindest regards, Dean

      Delete
  4. Good write up Dean, your mates 1809 collection puts mine to shame! I am working on some specific late 18th century Southern German terrain though, I think we have similar views although I prefer V&F over Blackpowder, I still like Blackpowder, they do share a heritage as they both have the same author!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Iain! Well, my buddy has been gaming and collecting the period for a long time - several decades - so you have time :) We only played with half of his collection of Austrians and Bavarians. He doesn't have that much French though - he's not a Francophile. To be honest I don't game often enough to really be an authority on rules. In retrospect, I think V&F does have a lot of positives - one being the faster play - the lack of Saving Throws as pointed out by Keith, isn't a bad thing. Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  5. Lovely game Dean a theatre and period that interests me very much. Very interesting to hear you plant you flag firmly in the camp of Black Powder. IF your mates ever agree to another game of BP :-) I would suggest importing the rule from Glory Hallelujah, which states if a unit moves more than once in the movement phase, it can’t then fire in the upcoming shooting phase - that does tend to dampen the big movements down to just the pre-manoeuvre stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, Norm. Honestly, I don't have as much experience with rules so my take on it is a bit biased towards what I am familiar with. The last few times I played BP (admittedly a long time ago), we did incorporate the rule of no shooting after more than one basic move - I think this is also in Clash of Eagles. There is a double-movement opportunity in V&F; if the enemy is more than 18" away and your unit ends up 12" away after the move, IIRC. I would like to play V&F to get more familiar with it soon too. Kindest regards, Dean

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks, Michal! My buddy always puts on great games - and likes to try out new rule sets too. Warm regards, Dean

      Delete
  7. Great looking game Dean, haven’t tried V&F yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mike. Although it was a learning experience, it did seem to have promise. Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete